Author Topic: My Time Is NOW!!!  (Read 246 times)

shiver318 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
My Time Is NOW!!!
« on: November 22, 2021, 03:57:35 PM »
I was out once last week during the high water and caught a couple of foot-long smallmouth.
Today the water has had a chance to settle down and remain stable for a few days as well as being cold at around 43F...the color was just right. It was overcast with no wind. I think it's my time to catch some smallmouth.

Cold water demands small jigs fished slowly. That means the Willie Wannabee.

Fished for 2 hours this afternoon and picked up 5 smallmouth all between 2 1/4 and 3 lbs. Solid hits but no acrobatics just hard pulling...don't jump much in cold water but they are powerful fish for their size.

Hope this is the beginning of a good winter.  8)

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
Re: My Time Is NOW!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 06:02:25 PM »
Bill
Some nice toads!! That makes for a fun day!
Are you fishing them slow or just a steady retrieve?

Glad your season is starting up...Really enjoy the fish pictures!
For some reason I enjoy bank fishing in the winter. Never know what your going to catch.

The other day the current was a little deceiving and I bumped from an 1/8 to a 1/4 oz for my hair jig.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 11:57:29 PM »
Always look forward to your cold water fishing posts!
Galatians 2:20

Offline DRY

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 07:47:43 AM »
Always look forward to your cold water fishing posts!

Yeah...I look forward to them too. I'm learning to be happy with a little less as I get older.

By the way...did you and your family make it up this fall? How did you make out?

Bill

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 09:05:46 AM »
Stay on them, Bill!

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 03:29:48 PM »

By the way...did you and your family make it up this fall? How did you make out?

Bill

Yes, we came up the week of November 8-12. Fished Liverpool and Mahantago landings, 1/2 day at Hoover Island. Water was crystal clear on the west side so we stayed mid river to the east bank every day. We caught 115 over 3 1/2 days. We came upon one eddy pool along the side of an island and caught 8; all were 18"-19" fish on a crankbait. That was our best hole but for the most part we had to move around a lot, only picking up 1-3 fish in good spots. We caught them on tubes, crankbait, jerkbait, double colorado spinnerbaits, chatterbait and swimbaits. Almost everything came bumping these lures against the bottom. Water was 45-47 degrees.

Offline DRY

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 04:01:37 PM »
Yes, ...

Thanks for the report. How would you compare this area to past years?

I wasn't gonna fish today but my better half was on a roll today with Thanksgiving stress....I went fishing.

Picked up another three chunky bass all around 2 1/2 to 3 pounds looking like this nice fish.

Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving...all!!!  :)

Bill

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 05:59:40 PM »
Thanks for the report. How would you compare this area to past years?

Overall numbers are down a bit but size was about the same. We usually average 150-200 fish on our Fall 3-4 day trip. We fish the last week of Oct/first week of Nov but due to high water we had to wait a week. As you know, a week weather wise in PA can bring BIG changes. Biggest difference is we had to move around a lot to find fish. We'd catch 1 here, 2-3 in the next spot, nothing in the next few spots, then a couple, and so on. That's why when we hit that one eddy with 8 nice fish it was like hitting the lottery!

When we arrived at noon on the 8th, my buddies launched at Shady Nook. They fished from the power plant down to the train bridge, both sides of the island and only caught 2 in 4hrs. I launched at Penn's and fished the islands out in the river and we caught 20 in those 4hrs. They are as good or better fishermen than I am, were throwing the same baits, so location definitely played a role in my opinion.

Looking forward to coming back towards the end of April. Until then, I'm watching you and the others on here so keep the posts/pics coming!
Happy Thanksgiving to all,
John

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 06:23:39 PM »
Heavyduty
Some nice fish and some great numbers. Also a nice description of your outing.
I have seen the PENN launch but never fished out of it.

We just donít have then kind of numbers on the West Branch.

Bill I would say your back in the groove!! Nice fish!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 11:36:15 PM »
Fished Liverpool and Mahantago landings

I apologize for the hijack but I would like to ask you a question about Liverpool. 

I had never been there so I took a drive to check it out without the boat.  I found the parking lot strange.  After launching you pull into one of the angled spots to park.  When you are ready to take out is there someplace to turn around, or do you back all the way down to the ramp from the parking spot?  Seems like it could be crazy if there is more than one trying to use the ramp. 

After you are on the water how is navigating the area?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 11:39:49 PM by zelmo »

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 05:22:45 PM »
The lot has 2 sections. I pull down into the second section and turn around. In 10 yrs I've never seen the lot so full that you can't use the second section for this. The ramp has the pull up area so you can align your trailer before backing in.

It can get a little skinny in the islands directly across from the ramp if river is less than 5'. Doable, you just have to keep and eye out floating thru. Upstream it's wide open. If you cut through the islands, the East side is also wide open. Downstream, you have stay close to the West bank to get thru the ledges. It's not hard to read the water. Once past the river wide ledge, you can go all the way across the river.

Launching at Liverpool allows you to fish down to Ferry Boat Campground to the islands above Mahantago, LOTS of good fishing water. Further each way if you want but further than that, best to launch at another ramp.

If you have any more questions, I'm glad to share what I know.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2021, 06:54:36 AM »
Thanks.  It looked like the second section of the lot had room to turn around; the key is it not being busy.  Since I would never go on a weekend it sounds like that won't be a problem.

Thanks for the tips on the river.  You talked about it getting skinny at 5'.  Is it still doable at 4' or is that time to go someplace else?

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2021, 11:00:16 PM »
The skinny section at 4' is in the islands directly across from the landing, the main river is still good