Author Topic: Great Fall morning  (Read 498 times)

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Great Fall morning
« on: December 02, 2021, 01:50:50 PM »
Shopped for groceries early this AM with the old folks to avoid COVID. Then decided to go fishin'

Air temp 43F...Water temp 40F...overcast...calm wind...just right for fishing. Fished from 10AM -12 Noon...at noon the sun came out bright and the upriver wind started and everything shut down for me...was home by 12:30

But in those 2 hours I landed 9 smallmouth and missed 2 others. Started out with the diminutive Willie Wannabee but when it was apparent that there were some really actively feeding fish I switched to the Helgraleech... most of the smallmouth took the larger trailer today.

Biggest one was just shy of 3 lbs.....

Quite a few 2 1/2 lb fish...

Could use just a little more water...rain dance done  ;D

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
Re: Great Fall morning
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 04:47:18 PM »
Thanks for the report, that was a good outing. Do you ever fish the small smoke tube much? I've always heard that was a good clear/cold water option.
Galatians 2:20

Offline DRY

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 05:34:29 PM »
... Do you ever fish the small smoke tube much? I've always heard that was a good clear/cold water option.

For years the Cabin Creek smoke tube was my go-to bait for wading the Susquehanna in winter...it is a killer in cooler water like 45-50F...that was when the power plant was coal fired and it kept the water at that temperature all winter. Those days are gone. As the water gets into the low 40's and mid to high 30's it's appeal is not as good as Al Winco's cold water baits.

After I got to know Al and after the warm water discharge ceased, I found that I was more successful from shore with baits like Chillee Willie,Willie Wannabee,G&W Krinkle Cut Worm and the Undulator. (I always told Al that he named Willie Wannabee after me  ;D)

I still have the smoke tube in my fishing vest. They were hungry today...I should have tried it.

Bill

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 10:07:15 PM »
Bill, itís still fall from the astronomical definition but it is winter on the meteorological calendar. I went out on 12/1 which marks the start of that and based on 39d water temperature I would say I was winter fishing.   :)

My experience was different than yours in that I only caught them for the brief time that the sun was out.  Maybe that was because I was fishing mid river.  Size was ok but I only got 4. 

Glad to hear that you got the bait dialed in.  I am curious about something - while bank fishing how often do you get hung up and need to break off?

Offline DRY

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 08:23:51 AM »
... I am curious about something - while bank fishing how often do you get hung up and need to break off?

Never use anything but 6 lb. mono for winter fishing. Concentrate on slow, cold water jig fishing.

I lose 1 to 3 jigs every time out; gotta be on the bottom and gotta be fishing slow; that gives the jig time to get stuck; the "buggy whip" technique really helps; (lately I only spend 2-3 hours at a time fishing due to my arthritis)

Never (almost never) use suspended jerkbaits or crankbaits while wading the shoreline...just too expensive.

Bill

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 01:55:51 PM »
Bill
Glad your on them! Some very nice fish! Thanks for sharing.

It seems every day I have something going on, itís a nice day.
And the days I can go...Itís Pretty windy.

Another thing that could be a problem coming up, is there is not much water right now.

I hear you on throwing not so expensive lures.
I fish a lot of plastics on 1/8 oz jig-heads.

Heavyduty Last winter done good on motor oil grub. Walleye and smallmouth.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 02:05:37 PM »
Bill, the "Ned" heads I use have a #1 strong hook and all of them have a single stranded wire weedguard. I've tried others without the guards and I don't see how people do it, they hang on something every cast. Now a #4 or #6 light wire hook with just a little of the hook exposed, maybe not as bad and you can straighten the hook and bend it back most of the time, but rarely if ever do I use them.

What size hook/weight do you use on the willie wannabee?

The "buggy whip" does work well

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 02:14:23 PM »

Heavyduty Last winter done good on motor oil grub. Walleye and smallmouth.

Ken up at Southside Tackle talks alot about the motor oil color also. Another I have yet to try.

Offline DRY

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 05:53:53 PM »
...What size hook/weight do you use on the willie wannabee?

I use a 1/8 oz stand up football jig with a size 1 mustad hook or a 3/16 oz stand up football jig with a 1/0 mustad hook. Was using the smaller jig the last two days.

Don't like weedguards. Winco always said I was too stubborn. I think they interfere with the hookset...I'd rather lose some jigs.

Bill