Author Topic: Raystown draw down  (Read 242 times)

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Raystown draw down
« on: December 17, 2021, 05:08:13 PM »
Been surveying the lake since it has been drawn down. Supposed to be drawn down 9 feet through December Iím not sure where itís at exactly. Some really great opportunities to see features near impossible to understand a full pool.

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
Re: Raystown draw down
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 08:41:33 PM »
Have you been finding any lures by chance?
Galatians 2:20

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 07:11:46 AM »
Well done.  Many years ago I read a tip about scouting your favorite lakes during the draw down to see the structure.  I don't think many guys actually make a special trip to do it.

A lake as big as Raystown has a lot of shoreline to explore.  I hope you have a big notebook! 

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 08:19:22 AM »
Have you been finding any lures by chance?
Oddly enough I havenít found a lot of lures. But I did find an Alabama rig yesterday on one of the porcupine cribs. It was all mangled up

« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 08:27:18 AM by Phil Sweeney »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 08:23:30 AM »
Well done.  Many years ago I read a tip about scouting your favorite lakes during the draw down to see the structure.  I don't think many guys actually make a special trip to do it.

A lake as big as Raystown has a lot of shoreline to explore.  I hope you have a big notebook!
I took the sounder off the champion and wired it for use on the johnboat. So Iím marking waypoints identifying outstanding features. I also hiked a couple areas one day using a handheld GPS.  Definitely I am seeing things that wouldíve been impossible to understand at full pool. Now the big question is how much will it help me next year?
Now that I got that sounder wired on the johnboat iím looking forward to using it on the Juniata to mark the pools. Iíd like to be able to return to them without getting on top of them.l
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 09:24:42 AM by Phil Sweeney »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 02:57:02 PM »
Phil, it sounds like you have a good plan.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 04:43:13 PM »
Thank you Sir!

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 09:53:27 PM »
I commend your willingness to scout an area that is not in your backyard.

Are you doing any fishing?

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2021, 10:03:03 AM »
Hi Rick,
Thursday I did not even take any rods and tackle. Marking waypoints has been very time consuming! The last time I fished was 2 weeks ago and mostly with spoons. Almost impossible to find any shallow fish. The deep water fishing is tough for me usually looking for bluffs and points in the upper parts of the lake. I confess I also really do not know how to use the fish finder except for the GPS. With spoons it would be great to do the video fishing I see on Youtube! Mostly catching yellow perch and walleye.
Since 1989 I probably have more time at Raystown than the river. Now that I have the RV I anticipate fishing every week in April and May (NO WEEKENDS EVER). Though I will have to find in a few days at the pond!
My campground has year round heated bath house. However the water is off at the RV after first frost. Hence the luggable lou!
My RV purchase was very fortunate. The previous owners had it set up perfectly and they literally gave me everything. Seems like I have good karma. IMHO a buddy of mine and I have the best sites there. My friend has been there over 20+ years.
BTW looks like you got your money's worth this year with the new boat! Kudos.
Phil

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2021, 10:22:00 AM »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 01:06:43 PM »
Try to get out yesterday went to Shy Beaver. Frozen. Went over to James Creek but it was too late in the day. Too windy today for the johnboat.
I wanted to get one last survey in before it gets too cold.