Author Topic: New digital scale  (Read 183 times)

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
New digital scale
« on: December 21, 2021, 03:29:29 PM »
So far a thumbs up. I went to the local post office. The postmaster has an old standard 5 lb weight they use to use to check scales. The new Rapala was right on 5 pounds.

The water has dropped from 41 F to 38 F. Air temp 38F today when I fished. No wind. Water getting low and cold. Ice on the shoreline.

Fished for 2 hours and I had five hits. Landed 4. Some were quite small including this .48 pounder.

I fished my carp hole and there were carp there. You can tell they are there because when the light jig rests on their backs they take it for a short ride. Smallmouth often hang out with the carp and take advantage of their rooting in the mud to get food.
After 15 casts this attractive 3 lb. 11 oz. gal decided she was hungry. Didn't feel the hit but I had to do a tonsillectomy with my
hemostat to remove the Willie Wannabee.

A few warmer nights and a little rain would be appreciated.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
Re: New digital scale
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 07:32:52 PM »
Nice fish. I've heard you talk about the carp and baits riding, very interesting.
Really enjoy how your posts tell the story of the day and supporting pics.
That said, really need to see the pic of the scale being tested at the post office to keep everything above board!
Merry Christmas sir!
Galatians 2:20

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 09:31:10 PM »
Nice fish Bill!
Glad the digital is working out for you.

I got out a little this morning and my rod guides kept freezing solid on my rod. Was 25 degrees this morning.
So I was unable to cast. I will have to grab a rod with bigger guides I guess.
Hopefully things will warmup a little the next few days.
Also little ice on the shoreline up here this morning.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 10:19:16 PM »
I havenít tried going out this week because of the freezing temperature.  It hasnít gotten above 32 until very late in the morning and I learned about the rod guides freezing up the hard way a number of years ago.

I have also been scared off by those reports of ice along the shoreline.  The last thing I want is to have ice on the ramp. 

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 08:39:45 AM »
Zelmo first time I have had my guides freeze up like that.
Been looking at the ramps, they donít look to bad. But as you know that can be deceiving.

Bill
The river gauge has the option to show what last years river height was. Which is kind of nice to compare.
Lot more water this year.
But we need some rain.

The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 08:54:14 AM »
...Bill
The river gauge has the option to show what last years river height was. Which is kind of nice to compare.
Lot more water this year.
But we need some rain.

That's a neat comparison...we were discussing in another post how the water level seems to change faster this year...more water in the ground and more water in the river.

You're right that a little rain will keep the water from getting gin clear and make catchin' a little easier.  ;)

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!