Author Topic: Water rising  (Read 230 times)

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
Water rising
« on: December 29, 2021, 07:54:06 AM »
Looks like the HBG gauge is going up about a foot over the next couple of days.  Anybody know if that drives the SM to the bank in the winter like it does in the warmer months?

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: Water rising
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 08:25:47 AM »
The water is shallow along the Que. Warming trends and high water bring the bass closer to shore in winter where I fish. Of course...I only fish the shoreline  ;) :)

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 07:49:31 AM »
Dry river is currently on the rise. But is supposed to crest lower than what was first predicted.

The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 12:49:41 PM »
Today the river is predicted to get pretty high.
Not sure why...we didnít have much rain.

Offline DRY

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 02:50:16 PM »
I've been skunked the last 2 days.

My fish need stability...it just ain't right... 8)

Happy New Year to all!!   Bill

Online Heavyduty

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 03:23:04 PM »
I went today on the James in VA and got skunked as well. Hopefully the rain this weekend will bring a little rise and some color to the water. Water temp was 50, just enough breeze to make a slight ripple on the surface. They should have been active in these conditions. All I got was a few nibbles by a bream on a TRD and didn't even catch it!
Galatians 2:20

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 09:17:13 AM »
Was out for a little bit,was casting 3/4oz jig N Pig because of the higher water. Nothing
Dry, yep crazy weather...The high on Monday 22 degrees

With this high water fish will move shallow and behind breaks.

Offline DRY

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 11:03:48 AM »
...With this high water fish will move shallow and behind breaks.

Danville water temp reached 40F today....good

High water/turbid water...good

Only problem is that it doesn't look like there will be any chance to reach stable conditions for any period of time. Looks like we go right back to winter on Monday. Water temps will fall quickly.

But you can bet that I will be searching for them on Sunday and Monday  ;) ;D

Bill

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 07:32:06 AM »
I did go out of FH on 12/31.  With air temps forecasted to be 57d, it being a Friday and a holiday I thought there might be a few boats out so I decided to launch at dawn.  When I got to the lot there were already 7 trailers in the lot.  I made my way up to the statue and found 6 boats in the hole already and my favorite spot was occupied.

I set up in an area and started to throw everything I had.  Water temp was 40d and relatively clear.  I finally got two on a swimbait a few casts apart around 9:00.  By this time there were 20+ boats in the area and nobody was doing particularly well.  I saw some fish caught but it wasn't great.  Even the live bait buys weren't catching.  By 11:00 there were even more boats there and guys were going past me 20' away and through the area I was casting to.  I decided to punt and left to try another area.  When I got there another boat was already in the spot and the water was muddy from the Juniata discharge.  I was low on gas and didn't want to make a run so I gave up and headed to the ramp with only those 2 fish.

I took out around 11:30.  The lot was overflowing.  Ironically I heard from someone later in the day who said he had a great day below Harrisburg.  He reported the water temp at 44d and clear.  Better yet he only saw a few other boats.  That is an area that I used to fish with the Triton and never had any luck in the winter months.  Go figure.