151 Guests, 3 Users

Author Topic: White Fly Central  (Read 42192 times)  Share 

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
White Fly Central
« on: July 13, 2014, 09:29:19 AM »
It's getting close to the time for white flies to start clogging the river and bridges in the Susquehanna River Valley. Lets use this thread to report our sightings and other observations. If you guys down south start seeing some please post it and we northerners can use that as some sort of yard stick to try and time the hatch up here. If you have a great tale set of pics to go with it feel free to start your own thread for it. Meanwhile here is a great thread from Fishin247.com, on last summer's white fly hatch. The dates on the post are all in early August.
FM

White Flies
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:49:51 AM by FM »

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

White Fly Central
« on: July 13, 2014, 09:29:19 AM »

Offline CatfishJones

• Fishing with Grizzly
Re: White Fly Central
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 07:19:07 AM »
Hatch is so crazy down here that's causing drivers to have problems on the bridge at night. Read the link below. They've started hatching down here so great chance you guys are in for it soon.

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/breaking/ci_26125884/mayflies-infest-wrightsville-bridge.html
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:39:17 AM by FM »
Keep your lines tight and your drag set!

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 01:43:10 AM »
I saw tonight (7/19/14 on the North Branch near Falls, Pa.) what appears to be the beginning of the white fly invasion.  Saw just a few before dark, then more after dark.  A few smaller fish were taking some off the water, it was sporadic at best and didn't last much more than an hour.

Offline FM

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 07:17:37 AM »
I don't think those are the real deal. I've been seeing them for over a week. They are smaller and don't seem to get themselves organised into the cloud formation that the whites do. They are files and they are white but I'm skeptical.
FM

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 07:17:37 AM »

Offline FM

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 10:49:41 PM »
Out on the river tonight till 9 pm no sign of the pesky white flies.
FM

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 12:21:02 AM »
Saw more of the smaller white flies tonight, after dark a few larger ones.  All in all there was a good variety of insects on the water after dark including what looked like some good sized Green or Brown Drakes. 

There was hardly any insects around until right before dark, the fish started slurping them up so I tied on a white fly.  It was so dark it was difficult to see the rises but lucky for me I scoped one out just upstream.  After 2 or 3 drifts over him I figured he didn't want my fly but on the next cast I heard a splash, lifted the rod and got my first pig smallie of the year.   The video is terrible but you can get a glimpse of the smallie.  He took the fly deep so it was obvious he wanted it.   

Only fish of the night and 1/2 hour afterwards the flies had just about disappeared.  Like I said there was a variety of insects on the water after dark so I can't say for certain but it looked to me like there were white flies in the mix, they looked like tiny sailboats cruising down the river.

Offline zziipp

• A LIL LESS BITCHN AND A LOT MORE FISHN. "ZZIIPP"
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 04:47:48 AM »
by this weekend we should be overrun with them. thurs sounds like a good night to be invaded.
WAIST HIGH IN WATER AND KNEE DEEP IN FISH.LIFE IS GOOD.
                          "ZZIIPP"

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 04:27:43 PM »
I dont' think we'll see the blizzard this week, like FM said, there's no real clouds of them.   The reason I think there are some around is cuz like with the trout mayflies you can see 1 or 2 a few days or a week or more before the full blown hatch takes place.  We'll probably have to wait until the 1st week of August for the blizzard, but who knows.

I read that they travel 2-3 miles upriver per day, I think that's underestimated but either way they will hit Hunlocks area up to Nanticoke before I see them up around Falls. 

Another thing is I got a new high power 450 lumens flashlight which tends to make everything look white  :o  must be the reflection or something.  When I scan the river surface I see many white looking flies but looking straight down and picking them off the water the wings can be clear or the fly can be yellowish like a sulfur which are around as well, dragon flies are out as well as some tiny white flies, BUT occasionally I do pick one up that looks like the real thing.

So just cuz the smallie took my white fly imitation doesn't mean they're actually upon us just yet, and certainly not enough to cause a feeding frenzy.  I may have just gotten lucky with insects on the water and the bass feeding on them.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 04:27:43 PM »

Offline Jigginjohnson

• Guy who catches fish
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 06:25:11 PM »
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:52:49 PM by FM »
CPR unless its a tasty walleye!!!

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 06:53:55 PM »
Very cool  ::)  thanks JJ  I wish we had a local radar that could follow the susky white fly hatch.  That's one heck of hatch they have going on, too much maybe.

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 05:56:17 PM »
I just got off the phone with Joe Ackourey, fly tying guru and guide.  He says the white flies usually come all at once, no early signs of them usually.  He was actually going to head out tonight to scout for any.  His feeling is that within a few days or even sooner we should see the beginning of the real blizzards.

The flies I was seeing, along with all the others (non white flies) were either sulfurs or light cahills, or less probable  a few early white flies.  So FM was probably correct.

I'm heading out tonight to see what's happening.

Offline Jigginjohnson

• Guy who catches fish
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 07:16:50 PM »
I just got off the phone with Joe Ackourey, fly tying guru and guide.  He says the white flies usually come all at once, no early signs of them usually.  He was actually going to head out tonight to scout for any.  His feeling is that within a few days or even sooner we should see the beginning of the real blizzards.

The flies I was seeing, along with all the others (non white flies) were either sulfurs or light cahills, or less probable  a few early white flies.  So FM was probably correct.

I'm heading out tonight to see what's happening.

Joe is one hell of a guy. Guru is puting it lightly. He's usually spot on with his predictions.
CPR unless its a tasty walleye!!!

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 07:16:50 PM »

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 10:50:47 PM »
Tonight was very poor by way of insects.  Only a few of them around, I think mostly the Light Cahills.  Barely any fish rising, I ended up with 1 small bass.  The air temps dropped quickly, I could feel the steam coming off the water.

Day after a storm front came through, go figure, hardly even any birds or animals around.

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 10:00:40 PM »
I met up with Joe Ackourey tonight, he's convinced the white flies will be here soon, this weekend maybe even.  You guys keep a look out on Sat. night.

Offline FM

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 10:21:17 PM »
I hiked/fished up the stretch from the Luzerne co airport to the 8th st bridge and back no sign of the nasty little buggers. I'm going with August 1st. But if they are timed by the moon phase them Saturday will be the night.
FM

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 10:21:17 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com