50 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Talons/Powerpoles  (Read 5190 times)  Share 

Offline Kingfisher

Talons/Powerpoles
« on: April 02, 2014, 06:51:28 PM »
I'm thinking about putting a talon on my riverpro.  Anyone out there have them on their river boats?  Any issues with them getting stuck.  I can see them getting pinned between some of the monster boulders in the susky. 
"Ya can't get em wishin, ya gotta go fishin!"

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Talons/Powerpoles
« on: April 02, 2014, 06:51:28 PM »

Offline lungbuster

Re: Talons/Powerpoles
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:18:48 PM »
I fished out of fish4funjims boat last week. He has a power pole. Worked awesome I thought.

Offline KCARP819

• FISH FEAR ME
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »
YEAH IVE BEEN ON JIMS TOO. POWER POLE IS PRETTY AWESOME. WISH THEY WERE CHEAPER

Offline Kingfisher

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »
Thanks. Anyone else?  I'll call Jimbo and discuss the power pole, but I'm leaning toward the 12' Talon.  Wondering if anyone has one and their thoughts on it. After back surgery, I'm done with lifting heavy anchors with 3' of heavy chain on them.  First time out this year, after trailering the boat, I just jumped right out without a thought of the back and tweaked it a little. Hence another month off work to fish.  Guess I gotta use the old man steps on the fenders to get in and out from now on. Lmao.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »

Offline Ed B

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 10:26:18 PM »
Friend of mine has two on his 21 footer. His are 8 feet. They work well. Usually use them in slow water. In time they will get gummed up and need to be cleaned.
They make all kinds of noise scraping across the rocks until they stop the boat. The fish don't seem to care though. He's learned to use the trolling motor to help in stopping the boat.
Two things I'm not crazy about. They're mounted to the stern so anchoring in current is pretty much out of the question and the price.

Offline Kingfisher

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 02:16:39 PM »
Friend of mine has two on his 21 footer. His are 8 feet. They work well. Usually use them in slow water. In time they will get gummed up and need to be cleaned.
They make all kinds of noise scraping across the rocks until they stop the boat. The fish don't seem to care though. He's learned to use the trolling motor to help in stopping the boat.
Two things I'm not crazy about. They're mounted to the stern so anchoring in current is pretty much out of the question and the price.
Thanks for the input.

Offline Ed B

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 08:49:44 PM »
Anytime, if I can help I'll chime in.

Offline Kingfisher

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »
I'm starting to give up on the idea of the talon or power pole.  I would probably need 2 because of the weight of my boat and don't want them sticking up on the back of the boat.  That would annoy the sh_t out of me.  They don't seem as bad with an outboard motor because you have that sticking up already.  I'll stick with the flat open platform in the back of the boat.  Probably just get a minn kota electric anchor lift for a fraction of the cost and mount it on the bow opposite side of the trollin motor and use my current anchor.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »

Offline Ed B

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 11:06:35 PM »
Either way works. I like the talons because when they get planted that's where you're anchored. No hanging down stream from the anchor. As far as being in the way I hardly notice them. They're only about 6 inches wide and my pole goes over top when I have a fish on with no problem at all. My buddy has a 250 optimax hanging off the back and if anything is in the way that is. Don't like to fish over that thing. Seems like I fish to the side of the boat most of the time anyway. I have a 1452 weldcraft and opted for a micro anchor that will be mounted to the bow. Pricey but half the cost of a talon. Only good for 1500 pounds. That pole will be sticking up in the air at times so hopefully it won't bother me. Can't be any worse than a small tree on shore and it doesn't have branches. I know the anchor rope on my old boat tended to wraparound the trolling motor almost every time.

Offline Gage

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 12:07:51 PM »
Catfishedge.com has a pretty good diy shallow water anchor.  Definitely alot cheaper than the Talons.

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 12:07:51 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com