50 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Boating Bloomsburg section  (Read 5107 times)  Share 

Offline ApacheL

• River Rat
Boating Bloomsburg section
« on: March 29, 2015, 08:31:55 PM »
Hello guys new here great site. I own a jet was wondering if anyone has run the Bloomsburg section? Wondering how hairy the area is? Looks pretty shallow any deep water around thanks

apacheL

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

Boating Bloomsburg section
« on: March 29, 2015, 08:31:55 PM »

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
Re: Boating Bloomsburg section
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 06:44:24 AM »
 :'(I WISH I HAD A JET :'(
MAYBE THE EASTER BUNNY WILL PUT ONE IN MY BASKET????
     SOME DAY :-\
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline Gundog

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:27:48 PM »
I've only waded and occasionally kayak'd the section from Bloomsburg upriver to the interstate 80 bridge. I can tell you that if the river is high enough you can go up as far as the Nescopeck bridge. Look for the channel and watch out for rocks. Sorry I can't be of more help than that.
There's a fine line between fishing....and standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline Mc240

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:09:51 PM »
Hey Apache
Funny I just saw this post today, I live about 3 minutes from the Bloom launch. I actually just purchased a jet setup of my own for the river this year and have some of the same questions. I have kayaked a lot on this section in years past but don't remember enough to lend out too much advice. I do know a lot of local guys say if the gage is 4+ most places are safe with jet. If your local , I would be game to do some exploring, your boat or mine!

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:09:51 PM »

Offline Lip Ripper

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 01:33:10 PM »
I wade the Bloom area a lot myself and its awesome fishing!!  Throughout the spring while the water is higher you'll be fine but I'd still use caution, there is deeper water downriver from the launch at the 487 bridge (popular catfish/smally spot).  As the water gets lower during the summer months it gets really shallow and I'd be more careful.
Fortuna Fortes Juvat

Offline ApacheL

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 03:24:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies. How far down we talking? Is there an riffle sections or just goonies

Offline Lip Ripper

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 11:52:26 AM »
Leading up to the 487 bridge, under the bridge and then about 100 yards past it yet there is some deeper water.  Downriver from there it shallows up pretty quickly though and the stretch of the river that goes through Bloomsburg is kind of like a flats area with patches of weed beds spread out sporadically throughout the river (there are only a few deeper holes here and there).  In late spring and summer I target the eddies behind the weed beds and I do very well.  Sometimes I park literally right in the park up along the river, right there in Bloomsburg and walk down and wade, one of my favorite spots if I only have a few hours to spare.  Another great spot is out in front of where fishing creek dumps in on the backside of Bloom. 
Fortuna Fortes Juvat

Offline Gundog

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 03:38:23 PM »
Don't forget under the bridge that leads past the airport. I really like that area cause its a current break. The same with the islands just north of the bridge. When the rivers up smallies congregate behind those islands in the current breaks. Unfortunately there is not alot of big rocks in the area that will hold smallies.  I never had luck fishing in the park area. But maybe thats cause I didn't spend enough time there.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 03:38:23 PM »

Offline ApacheL

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 04:06:16 PM »
Guess my only question is how hazardous is it going down below the bridge?

Offline Gundog

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 06:27:19 PM »
I've seen boats with props and jetboats go down that way alot. You shouldn't have a problem at all. Just keep your eyes open and take your time till you are use to the area and you should be fine. You can check the height of the river by checking the usgs website. There is a gauge right at the airport bridge. 4 ft level is fine for most boats. Anything over 6ft tends to be really muddy and tough to fish. Have fun.

Offline ApacheL

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 07:27:24 PM »
Thanks guys

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 07:27:24 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com