122 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: First time ever on the boat in the river.  (Read 5622 times)  Share 

Offline Christopher2x2

• River Rat
First time ever on the boat in the river.
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:06:03 PM »
I'm taking my boat out for the first time tomorrow.  14ft jon boat with a small gas motor,  6hp. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.  I'm considering launching from Appletree or Falls... I'm a Noob from the boater point of view, I'd rather look like an idiot and ask dumb questions here than end up in the paper with everybody trying to find me.

Thanks in advance...

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

First time ever on the boat in the river.
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:06:03 PM »

Offline Kingfisher

Re: First time ever on the boat in the river.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 01:12:24 PM »
The river is currently around 5.5' according to the w-B gauge.  If your launching from the AT launch, I would head upstream, not down.  It shallows up just below the launch with a lot of boulders you can usually see from 92 on the way to the launch.  You MIGHT be fine at the current river level, but I wouldn't risk it without a jet.  Same for Falls launch...head upstream, not down.  Below the falls launch is a giant boulder field in the middle of the river where I'm sure there are 100's of props strewn about.  That area isn't as much of a danger until the river drops a few more feet though.  I got my trollin motor pinned on one of those boulders there and it was a B_tch to get it off.  Good luck and be safe.
"Ya can't get em wishin, ya gotta go fishin!"

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 02:21:50 PM »
Six hp isn't much for the river at current levels I agree with the head up idea for the simple reason that if youi have a problem you can drift/row back to your starting point. For your first time you might consider the Tunkhannock state launch or the Whites Ferry launch as alternatives, they both access larger pools and give you a more forgiving conditions to get your self adjusted before you have to commit.
FM

Offline Christopher2x2

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 01:03:17 AM »
Thank you both for the advice. I'm going to take it slow and definitely had upstream.
I installed this prop protector tonight,  I hope it helps...

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 01:03:17 AM »

Offline BIGCREW

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 08:45:13 AM »
just some friendly advise,you may want to take your boat out on a lake before hitting the river just in case theres a glitch with something,the river can be very dangerous in a boat if you dont have much exsperence on the river,the water is still cold and well you know what I mean,6 ponys may be a little to small for the river in my opinion,when the river is down that may be fine but fighting the curent with 6 ponys may be a little tough,BE SAFE WEAR YOUR LIFE VEST and good luck

Offline zziipp

• A LIL LESS BITCHN AND A LOT MORE FISHN. "ZZIIPP"
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 01:04:26 PM »
in a stiff current you may not even be able to go up current with 6hp.
WAIST HIGH IN WATER AND KNEE DEEP IN FISH.LIFE IS GOOD.
                          "ZZIIPP"

Offline Christopher2x2

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 10:18:15 PM »
Thanks again.
The trusty 6hp staff proved to be quite a bit more powerful than I expected.  Zipped up the river quite easily.(Thank preferred diety.)
Surprisingly my 55lb minnkota also actually did well taking me where we needed to go.  Unfortunately we only caught one fish. I do have a whole new respect for current though.

Offline Kingfisher

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 12:13:06 PM »
Thanks again.
The trusty 6hp staff proved to be quite a bit more powerful than I expected.  Zipped up the river quite easily.(Thank preferred diety.)
Surprisingly my 55lb minnkota also actually did well taking me where we needed to go.  Unfortunately we only caught one fish. I do have a whole new respect for current though.
Figured you'd be fine with 6 HP at current levels.  If my trolling motor can move my boat up river than a 6 HP should be fine.  Nice to hear you got out.  Good for you!  I was out ystdy and will post some nice pics. 8)
"Ya can't get em wishin, ya gotta go fishin!"

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 12:13:06 PM »

Offline RugerNiner

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 07:30:26 PM »
I use to take the pin out of my outboard so if my skeg hit a rock the motor would flip up without much damage.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 07:30:26 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com