Author Topic: Fall Flyfishing and New Flies  (Read 5959 times)

Offline beernut

• River Rat
Fall Flyfishing and New Flies
« on: October 16, 2016, 10:30:08 AM »
Last weekend I went farther up river in the stretch I have been fishing to check out some new water.  The fish are slowing down in this area I think they are moving around a bit now that the temps are dropping.  Caught this 17.5" smallmouth in a run that was about 3 fow just below ankle deep riffles with slack water off to the side using a yellow gurgler.   ;D

The bass and fallfish really like the white and green bead eye wooly bugger.  Tied this looking at carp patterns still hoping to get into a big one.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 10:36:54 AM by beernut »

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
Re: Fall Flyfishing and New Flies
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 04:28:11 PM »
NICE!!!!!!!
YOUR A RIVER HOLIC BRO.
I luv your posts :) :) :)
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 04:30:05 PM »
Bass on the fly  :)

Great sport when you can find 'em!!

Is that a "home-made" lure design or is that made commercially?

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 08:15:28 PM »
Nice looking bugger, wooly worm, streamer, what do you call it ?   I'm gonna be slingin streamers this week and hopefully some top water action with the warmer temps. 

Last couple times I got 4 or 5 bass in one area, then searching for another area and finally getting into a few more, numbers are down for me.

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 11:01:35 PM »
I got the fly rod rigged up with a Clouser Minnow, set out and nothing but wind today  >:(

ended up getting some on a silver fleck tube, gulp minnows and a few on black jitterbug after dark,
they wanted the tube on the retrieve, chasing it

Offline beernut

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 11:45:30 PM »
LOL...Chez guess a I am a river holic wonder if there is a support group or web site or something.  ;D

Bass on the fly  :)

Great sport when you can find 'em!!

Is that a "home-made" lure design or is that made commercially?

Bill

My favorite way to fish for bass.  It's home-made I originally bought the eyes to tie some Clouser Minnows but I don't have any bucktail so figured I would try them on these.  I am just getting back into tying so I need to build up my materials.

Nice looking bugger, wooly worm, streamer, what do you call it ?   I'm gonna be slingin streamers this week and hopefully some top water action with the warmer temps. 

Last couple times I got 4 or 5 bass in one area, then searching for another area and finally getting into a few more, numbers are down for me.

My daughter saw me tying one and said "eww that's ugly" so I've been calling them "Ugly Buggers". 

I've noticed the same change also I was thinking maybe they are heading into deep pools now.  The one time I was casting in this one area for quite a while and didn't pick up anything on a gurgler, then switched to one of these flies and picked up 5 bass in the same spot.  They were stacked up in that current but just didn't want the top water.  I have been changing flies more often now, I'll try topwater then switch to one of these or a streamer.

I tried on Sunday morning and the wind was wicked there were actually white caps, caught two fish and gave up.  I was tired of getting hit in the back of the head with my fly.  Good thing you had your other rod with you I usually just bring one rod.  Surprised if they wanted to chase a tube they didn't hit the clouser.  I've been dying to try tying some of them figured this would be a good time of the year to fish them.

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 11:30:24 AM »
Ugly Bugger, nice one, heard that term before though,  that fly reminds me of a caterpillar.

I've been taking 2 rods or more to the Susky for awhile, fly casting can get to you after a while, especially in the wind, after dark when there's no insects on the water I like to throw the old black jitterbug.  I just have to make sure to mark the spot where I leave the spare rod, I take a piece of orange blaze to hang off the rod, at night I use a short string of LED lights, it's too easy to lose stuff along the river banks.

Offline beernut

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 10:25:38 PM »
LOL didn't know there actually is a fly called the ugly bugger.  I googled it and my fly is uglier for sure. Guess I need to come up with a new name.

I like the idea of LED lights or blaze tape, I would definitely lose them.