Author Topic: corona LM  (Read 4654 times)

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
corona LM
« on: April 07, 2020, 11:01:43 PM »
Things are picking up. I saw a few boats not too bad down here. 5 fish. Hoping tomorrow will be better!

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: corona LM
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 08:25:33 AM »
Green bass  ???  I guess we can count them as game-fish  ;)  :)

You look like you are prepared for winter weather. Still a little cold to be tooling around in a boat.

Fishing has been kind of slow...and we are in that full moon period again.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 09:45:47 AM »
Green bass  ???  I guess we can count them as game-fish  ;)  :)

You look like you are prepared for winter weather. Still a little cold to be tooling around in a boat.

Fishing has been kind of slow...and we are in that full moon period again.

Bill
I'd rather SM. I got to get right toasty before I start taking the gear off. That neck thing is worth its weight in gold. I took an old tripod and camera out and used the timer. I guess I have to work on the angle.  ;)
The water is low down here and fairly clear. Looks like Conowingo has been generating less (you would think more with everyone home).
Also sounds like I am lucky not too many boats down here. If everyone was working there would be fewer!
Phil

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 10:44:19 AM »
What ramp did you wind up using?

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 03:30:18 PM »
What ramp did you wind up using?
Muddy Creek access. Most of the people who launch there donít go as far south as I went. If you donít know the area let me know Iíll advise you on how to go south. Phil

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 08:33:07 AM »
Muddy Creek access. Most of the people who launch there donít go as far south as I went. If you donít know the area let me know Iíll advise you on how to go south. Phil

I haven't been more than a few hundred yards north of Dorsey because I don't know the water.  What's the route south from Muddy Creek?

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 04:11:04 PM »
I haven't been more than a few hundred yards north of Dorsey because I don't know the water.  What's the route south from Muddy Creek?
From Muddy Creek Access follow  the black line slowly. Watch out for rock marked in red. Head towards upper tip of Chestnut. Stay out 20-30 feet from island following black line to bottom tip of Big Chestnut. I idle the whole way to bottom of island with motor trimmed up pretty good. From there you can go. You can blast from there but first time I suggest taking it a little easy so you can gain confidence in the course.

Just another view

There is another way but harder to describe.
Coming back I used to gun it the whole way. But as I have gotten older I idle. The water level changes are crazy - as well you know. I usually use the jet/jon here, and you still can hit rock!! Hope this helps - be safe.
Phil

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 07:32:02 AM »
Thank you.  I don't know yet if I am willing to try that.  In all the years I have had my boat I haven't hit anything and I'm not interested in taking many chances. 

I'm not ready to go down there yet.  Hopefully by the time I am Dorsey will be open and it will be a non-issue.

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 08:26:44 AM »
Thank you.  I don't know yet if I am willing to try that.  In all the years I have had my boat I haven't hit anything and I'm not interested in taking many chances. 

I'm not ready to go down there yet.  Hopefully by the time I am Dorsey will be open and it will be a non-issue.
I understand that. I usually use my jet/jon from there. Occasionally the bass boat, but not often and I do not like it. I usually use my bassboat at Raystown and the Lower Conowingo.  I am still not convinced fishing below Peach Bottom is worth it. I do not fish there like I use to and stopped due to population reductions (at least where I fished). Right now its like trying to learn the area again! I am surprised you never had any problems at Goldsboro. I'd be afraid to take the bassboat there! Last time I fished there was the 80s with a small boat.
Finally got a water pump kit for my jet.
Phil
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:38:46 AM by Phil Sweeney »

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 08:12:07 AM »
I am surprised you never had any problems at Goldsboro. I'd be afraid to take the bassboat there!

When I moved to Central PA in 1978 I brought a jet boat with me.  It was 18' with a 460 Ford inboard turning out 370 HP.  I ran it on Frederic for two years with no electronics to tell me the depth but on plane it only needed a couple of inches.  Late in the second summer I was pulling a skier in an area I had been in often.  He fell and as I came around to get him I could see he was acting strangely.  By the time I got to him he was standing on a huge rock that was ankle deep.  That boat was sold right after that.

When I got the bassboat I didn't go there the first year.  I then hooked up with someone who led me around and showed me the spots to stay away from.  Many years later I now know where I can go and where I can't.  The current electronics have helped a lot.

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 08:38:01 AM »
Is Frederic Goldsboro area?

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 09:40:06 AM »
Yes.  The impoundment is Lake Frederic.  There are ramps at Goldsboro as well as on the east shore.

Online Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 10:03:02 AM »
Yes.  The impoundment is Lake Frederic.  There are ramps at Goldsboro as well as on the east shore.
Gotcha, Have not been up since most of the folks got kicked off the islands. I have been there when Goldsboro parking was full! That kinda turned me off to the area.
Phil

Online 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 10:32:25 AM »
Last year with the fishing so slow at Harrisburg and the water so low I was contemplating trying down at Muddy Creek because I saw Phil was catching some down there.  I never did it because of the long tow and all the construction on the route.  I may have to try it before the skiers and the jet skies come out.  Thanks for the map.  Unlike Zelmo, up at Harrisburg when the gauge gets below 4 feet I usually hit something but usually not while I'm flying.  I don't go once it gets lower than 3.7.  So far the Rockproof has been rock proof but I don't want to test it to the limit. :D I went there a few weeks ago and got skunked.  I have mostly fished out of Harrisburg because it's the quickest tow for me at 1 1/4 hours.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 10:34:50 AM »
Weekend afternoons on Frederic are an absolute zoo.  Since I retired I only go on weekdays.

In addition to the general crowd there is a jet ski ramp just upstream from the main ramp.  Those idiots buzz all around the ramp area making it worse than it needs to be.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:39:54 AM by zelmo »