Author Topic: article  (Read 1059 times)  Share 

Susquehanna River Fishing Forum

article
« on: February 18, 2021, 11:38:28 AM »

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: article
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 09:15:12 AM »
Thanks for the article Phil. I have written about these problems numerous times on this website in response to people's questions about the  smallmouth fishery. The upper mainstem smallmouth fishery has still not improved regardless of what the biologists say.

On a different issue - anyone know why the website was offline for a few days? At least I could not access it. Is it coming to an end?

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 11:17:58 AM »
Thanks for the article Phil. I have written about these problems numerous times on this website in response to people's questions about the  smallmouth fishery. The upper mainstem smallmouth fishery has still not improved regardless of what the biologists say.

On a different issue - anyone know why the website was offline for a few days? At least I could not access it. Is it coming to an end?

Bill
Hi Bill,
You are welcome. The new news for me was the LM virus. The scary thing is it sounds like nothing can be done about the pharmaceuticals. The friend who sent it to me said further proof man is just killing himself. I am preparing a house for sale and came across a magazine and one of the cover articles was global warming: the proof (paraphrase) (1993). 18 years later and we still deny it! I have believed for years the biggest problem for the river is pollution. Try to fathom the runoff increase in the last 50 years. Homes, driveways, new roads, parking lots, new sewer systems, failed septic systems, etc. Only now are we trying to reduce runoff (a little). BTW even when a sewer system dumps "clean water" it is clorinated. Unfortunately we are probably past the point of no return.
Thank God I also have Raystown
I have come to conclude the PFBC is worthless!
I thought the site was gone!
At least we will get to see your late winter pursuits!
Phil

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 12:03:16 PM »
...Unfortunately we are probably past the point of no return...
I have come to conclude the PFBC is worthless!
I thought the site was gone!
At least we will get to see your late winter pursuits!
Phil

I was involved in one of the first symposium at Harrisburg (early 2000's) when the smallmouth problem started...some of us tried to tell the PFBC that the largemouth bass virus had affected sunfish,rock bass and smallmouth bass as well as largemouth bass but they would not listen.
I agree that the PFBC has managed the fishery poorly...and that the problems we are facing in the Susquehanna may be so pervasive that it will never be fixed.

I thought this website (suskyfishers.com) had gone off the world wide web. Don't know what happened but I have wondered for a while how it continues with the poor involvement by fishermen.

I left riversmallies.com because of the very poor moderation and the vulgar attacks on that site. EPFR (eastern pennsylvania fishing reports) went off the www. some time ago and another central PA fishing site I visited also went caput some years ago. I don't fish as much as I did in the past but it is nice to have a place to make reports and learn what other fishermen are up to.

Yes, as soon as the water warms and the smallmouth start migrating out of the Susquehanna...I may have some pictures to post.

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 12:03:16 PM »

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 07:49:51 PM »
I was involved in one of the first symposium at Harrisburg (early 2000's) when the smallmouth problem started...some of us tried to tell the PFBC that the largemouth bass virus had affected sunfish,rock bass and smallmouth bass as well as largemouth bass but they would not listen.
I agree that the PFBC has managed the fishery poorly...and that the problems we are facing in the Susquehanna may be so pervasive that it will never be fixed.

I thought this website (suskyfishers.com) had gone off the world wide web. Don't know what happened but I have wondered for a while how it continues with the poor involvement by fishermen.

I left riversmallies.com because of the very poor moderation and the vulgar attacks on that site. EPFR (eastern pennsylvania fishing reports) went off the www. some time ago and another central PA fishing site I visited also went caput some years ago. I don't fish as much as I did in the past but it is nice to have a place to make reports and learn what other fishermen are up to.

Yes, as soon as the water warms and the smallmouth start migrating out of the Susquehanna...I may have some pictures to post.

Bill

Dry
Not sure what happened to the site, Maybe server problems?
It's a nice site and I'm not sure why it doesn't have much traffic.

But thanks to the Administrator for keeping it up and running!

Up here about every other day we're getting an 1-2" of snow. We have over 50" of snow this year.
Pretty much has ended the bank fishing. Not to mention above the dam the river is froze over and below it is partially froze over.
Probably when things warm up some I will just get my boat back out.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 09:15:08 AM »
It's a nice site and I'm not sure why it doesn't have much traffic.
Looks like the traffic is mostly "views." before I commented there were 112 views.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 04:49:29 PM »
18 years later and we still deny it! I have believed for years the biggest problem for the river is pollution. Try to fathom the runoff increase in the last 50 years.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 04:49:29 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ SuskyFishers.com
Copyright 2018 SuskyFishers.com