Author Topic: June  (Read 3260 times)

Online zelmo

• River Rat
June
« on: June 02, 2021, 07:47:29 AM »
I spent May fishing the deeper pools with the bass boat.  It is one of the most successful times of the year for me.  I am only going to attribute that to having lucked out and learned where the fish are, and they seem to return to those spots every year.

The rain at the end of the month pushed the HBG gauge above 5' so I decided to take the jet out of Fort Hunter on 6/1.  I am hoping to have the entire month to use it before these spots go to summer lows and I am back to the deeper pools.

The only good thing I can say about this trip was that I had the ramp to myself when I launched at just after first light.  I have become much more proficient at launching and loading this boat by myself but the idea of a busy ramp with no docks isn't appealing.  Could it be that if there aren't other boats the fish aren't biting and the word is out? 

When I got on the water I had a suspicion it wasn't going to be a good day.  The water was heavily stained and worst, the water temp was down to 63.  I caught a few fish early but then nothing as I searched around.  I found the chute to get below the bridge and idled through it taking note of the depth which was around 3'.  When I got to the other side of the bridge the depth was about the same all over with just a few holes that were deeper.  I got into one area where I was banging the TM on rocks but I didn't get hung up.  Didn't get a bite so I went back to where I had started and caught a few more before leaving around noon.

If the river stays up I'll try again.  Any suggestions on what patterns work this time of year in these types of areas?

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: June
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 08:52:34 AM »
No doubt in my mind the word gets out!!

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 08:33:45 AM »
Had a good month for May. But was out Tuesday and hard pressed to catch a fish. Mostly rock bass.
Think I am seeing the post spawn blues.
Zelmo, All the docks are in up here now. "Last week" Which makes life easier when your by yourself.

Been using the Jon boat a lot last month. Mostly because no docks where I was fishing.
Hopefully everyone has a good June.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 08:42:06 AM »

Zelmo, All the docks are in up here now. "Last week" Which makes life easier when your by yourself.

There are no docks for the ramps I am talking about.  At many of them there is very little area to even beach the boat if you can't do it on the ramp.  The logistics are horrible if it is busy and you are by yourself.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 01:12:55 PM »
...Mostly rock bass...

Interesting...I cannot remember the last time I caught or heard of anyone catching a rock bass down here. Do you catch a lot of them? Big Ones?

30-40 years ago you couldn't keep them off your hook...they were a real pest.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 04:38:43 PM »
Dry I am usually not catching to many rock bass, these was in the 6" variety. Pick up 2 sunny's too.
It was just a weird outing. But a nice day to be out.
Sometimes fishing a mepps spinner I will pick up more Rock bass.

Zelmo I hear you on being by yourself. I was fishing by myself quit a bit this spring.
You need to find yourself a partner.
19' boat isn't a lot of fun loading and unloading by yourself,especially with a lot of current and some wind.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 07:04:14 AM »
What a difference a few days can make.  Fished below HBG on 6/7 with the gauge at 4.46.  I launched at 5:00 am and found the water temp was back up to 79.5. 

I went to a spot that normally produces and had one on top water on the second cast.  Worked that for a little with no other results so I tossed a swimbait.  From then on I had steady action until 10:30.  I then switched to a worm and landed several more before heading in at noon.  Total for the day was 37 SM between 15" and 19".  No monsters.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 03:59:59 PM »
Some nice numbers Zelmo! I have had some luck with Swimbaits.
Water temperature up here has been between 75 -79. hate to see what it drops to after today.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 09:10:46 PM »
Was a slow week this week. Up early and done by 11:00 with the heat.
Couple my son caught on Tuesday and one I caught at the ramp.
Also caught quite a few dinks.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 04:23:45 AM »
What a difference a few days can make.  Fished below HBG on 6/7 with the gauge at 4.46.  I launched at 5:00 am and found the water temp was back up to 79.5. 

I went to a spot that normally produces and had one on top water on the second cast.  Worked that for a little with no other results so I tossed a swimbait.  From then on I had steady action until 10:30.  I then switched to a worm and landed several more before heading in at noon.  Total for the day was 37 SM between 15" and 19".  No monsters.
Awesome!!

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 06:53:45 AM »
I have said in other threads it is all about having the right conditions and then finding them.  Then you need to toss the right bait.  That day I got lucky and put it together. 

Phil: the swimbaits were on the minnow head, but I don't think that mattered.  Roundhead probably would have worked the same as long as there was a catch for the bait.

I didn't go out the rest of the week; I had planned on Wednesday but I believed the weather forecast and didn't want to get caught in a nasty thunderstorm.  Turns out we didn't get any rain.  I am planning for a couple of times next week and one will be to that same spot to see if they are still there.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 05:36:06 PM »
Phil: the swimbaits were on the minnow head, but I don't think that mattered.  Roundhead probably would have worked the same as long as there was a catch for the bait.
They were bending my #4 hook on the 3" 3/32oz switched to 4" 3/16oz. those eagle claw hooks are wimpy, I guess I should ease up a little. To boot on a fiberglass rod I am using because I broke one!! Lost 4-5 caught 19. BTW not spending much on gas. Usually do not go on weekends but i could not resist.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 07:30:18 PM »
Good to see you 2 getting after them with Swimbaits.
Might start fishing them a little harder. And go to a lighter color.

Phil that's a tough problem to have bending hooks  :D

Going to try and get out tomorrow morning before the storms hit.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 07:33:44 PM »
 ;D

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2021, 06:22:42 PM »
Got out this morning before the stormy weather. Was a slow start, but picked up some.
Ended up with 1/2 dozen legal bass with the big one 2.36lb. "All bass was released"
Quite a few under 11"  :)

Looks like the river is going to go up 1.5' from the rain which is good.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 06:24:50 PM by Pawatch »