Author Topic: Hook set  (Read 5347 times)

Offline Dusty

Hook set
« on: July 13, 2014, 06:37:34 PM »
Hi everyone I am new to fly fishing.  I have been heading out as often as I can. I was wondering what is the most effective way to set the hook on a dry fly?  I seem to be struggling when I make a quarter cast up stream and get hit on my drift. Any tips?

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
Re: Hook set
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:37:45 PM »
Is the problem that you have too much slack line on the water?   When I drift a dry fly I mend the line so that the fly doesn't "drag" across the current, so you need some slack line to prevent that drag, but too much slack line and you can't set the hook by simply lifting the rod tip, which is how I set the hook.

Are you fishing the Susky?  Just curious, the smallies usually inhale a fly or topwater popper, trout can be more finicky.

Offline Dusty

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 02:53:11 PM »
I think you maybe right.  I have been on the susky and penns creek. I have had rock bass hit it hard but the smallies I have seen are hitting but not taking it.  I will try using less slack. Thanks for the tip.

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 03:20:59 PM »
It could be that they see something that prevents them from inhaling the fly.  Maybe try a variety of colors or sizes.  What are you using?

Trout will do the same thing, you see the dimple of the rise but no hook up, they can inhale and exhale the fly in a millisecond.

Offline Dusty

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:41:20 PM »
I was able to land my first one out of the river using less slack.  Thanks for the tip!

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 04:11:14 PM »
I landed my 1st smallie of the year on the fly rod last night as well.  I hadn't had it on the susky cuz the water clarity had been too cloudy but it's cleared up nicely.   The smallies were sipping insects off the top after dark.  I was lucky to hear the take cuz it was nearly pitch black last night.

Got mine on a white fly imitation although there were only a few of them around, more coming sometime soon, hopefully within the next week or so we'll have the real white fly hatch.

What dries are you using for the smallies?