Susquehanna River, Questions & Comments > Susquehanna River Muskellunge and Northern Pike

my muskie story

(1/2) > >>

Arte27:
This is my second season on river,still trying to learn where the boulders are hiding just below surface,,Anyhow last season was filled with an average of 30 smallies everyday.This year the count is way lower but we have been hitting pike every trip.Thursday the clouds rolled in ,it was hot i made my way to the river at 4pm,,trying a new bass colored KVD 2.5....BANG...I hooked into a large muskie I had a 10 min fight as we drifted down river bringing the monster to the boat 6 times only to realize i had more fish then net.We were able to get the head of the fish in the net several times but there was to much fish out of the net and he would flop out and dive....i have to say he was well over 48" long and husky...anyhow the hook finally failed and straightened out saying goodbye to my best fish fight of my life..i tried posting a pic of the pike from last week ,not sure if i did it correctly

BonScott78:
That's a shame he got away, but I bet your heart was pounding for sure!  Nice pic of the Pike, been seeing a lot of pike being caught this year...more so than any other year!  ;) 

chez:
Great story.
Theres more where he came from.

HenryDavid:
I had a similar situation years ago when my Dad was still alive.  I had a huge musky just beat right by the boat and the net was no where near big enough, my Dad wanted to grab the fish and I said no way, 3 treble hooks and a mouth of needles.  Later on I thought, why didn't we snag the exposed trebles with the net and try to boat him that way.  Hindsight.   As a last resort I lifted the rod to try and get the fish's head up but he turned his head and snapped the line.

Great memory though, we had two 25+ inch walleyes in the boat already that day.   Frances Slocum believe it or not.

chez:
GOOD STORY HD....
SLOCUM HAS SOME GREAT EYEs IN IT..
GOTTA KNOW HOW and WHEN TO FISH IT... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version