Author Topic: Evening Fly Fishing  (Read 5467 times)

Offline beernut

• River Rat
Evening Fly Fishing
« on: September 25, 2016, 10:56:55 AM »
Didn't think I would be getting out at all but my wife and daughter went to the outlets in Tannersville and I found a couple of hours to hit the river.   ;D  Real tough day to fly fish the wind was crazy.  Decided to try tying a couple of streamers, didn't really follow any pattern or anything was hoping they would look like creek chubs.  I never fished a streamer before so it was pretty fun learning a new technique, it's pretty cool when a smallmouth smashes the streamer while stripping it in.  I ended up catching 8 smallies 4 of them on the streamer.

Think I found that temps in 60's are pretty much my limit for wet wading.  :P

Pretty happy with the action on this streamer.  Can hear the wind in the video it was brutal.
https://youtu.be/M7rNem5CPCE

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 08:46:29 PM by beernut »

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
Re: Evening Fly Fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 04:15:40 PM »
Nice looking streamer, it's time to bring them out, I'll be slinging a few later this week.

Do you use wooly buggers at all ?

Offline beernut

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 09:17:24 PM »
Thanks...I've never used wooly buggers but I just ordered some materials to tie some last night.  Is there a certain color that works better than others? 

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 01:37:14 PM »
That's a good question, but I tend to stick with natural colors, green and brown, black works well also, some days they go crazy over white.  I guess you could say the clippers, crayfish and minnow colors.

I like to cast them slightly upstream and let them drift down, then swing and strip them back, a lot of bass will pick them up on the drift. 

Offline beernut

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 09:20:46 PM »
That's kind of what I was thinking I ordered materials which pretty much cover those colors.  I was wondering if you dead drift them or not.  I bet dead drifting the streamers then swimming them at the end of the drift would pick up a few fish.