Author Topic: "Boatless" Bill  (Read 365 times)

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
Re: "Boatless" Bill
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2021, 09:15:15 AM »
Absolutely fantastic!
Would you believe this low water just above peach bottom?

My neighbor told me he had gone to the pool 2 years ago and the water was down 8' from "normal".  Sometimes he exaggerates so I wasn't sure what to think.  Last summer I was talking to a guy at Dorsey who told me he had tried launching the previous week and the water was too low to launch so it obviously happens.  So far I have been lucky that I haven't done that drive to only to find those conditions.  Wish there was a way to know about it ahead of time.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2021, 09:06:26 PM »
fortunately i have not experienced that either. usually I do not fish the pool much past end of May so I wonder if it can be worse in summer?

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 10:52:37 AM »
I continue taking advantage of the high water to wade the shoreline. Picking up 5-7 smallmouth ever time I'm out.
Today I used a swimbait with some success.
All the smallmouth are the same, in fact sometimes I think I'm catching the same fish; 9-10 inches with a few footlongs along the way.
The big smallmouth don't seem to use the shoreline in summer like they do in winter. I suspect they are out around the ledges or the islands.
Today might be the end for a while...river is falling fast...back to the rifle range.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Responsible_Angler

• Please give the fish CPR
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2021, 12:31:50 PM »

All the smallmouth are the same, in fact sometimes I think I'm catching the same fish; 9-10 inches with a few footlongs along the way.
The big smallmouth don't seem to use the shoreline in summer like they do in winter. I suspect they are out around the ledges or the islands.
Today might be the end for a while...river is falling fast...back to the rifle range.

Bill

Bill, It seems the big samallmouth like to move to the otherside during the summer. There are a lot of chunk rocks and ledges just below the Boy Scout Camp. Maybe all the people dorking around (letting their dogs swim) the boat ramp push them over, IDK. I do know I get larger fish on the other side.