Author Topic: Lanternflies  (Read 344 times)

Online zelmo

• River Rat
Lanternflies
« on: September 13, 2021, 10:29:28 PM »
They first showed up at my house last fall.  Back then I found a few, but this year it is much worse.  As I work in the garage anytime I pick up the flyswatter I can kill a couple on the driveway. 

I was on the river today and at around 11:00 I started to see a large number of the lanternflies floating on the surface.  The little fish were pecking away at them. 

On a hunch I threw a worm to a spot that had activity and immediately had the little fish taps.  I ignored them and then was rewarded by a more substantial hit. The smallie I pulled in wasn’t huge but it was a decent fish.  I worked that pattern for 2 hours and got 26.  Apparently they were cruising under the little fish and picking them off.

Maybe I need to change my opinion of the lanternfly. 

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: Lanternflies
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 05:16:24 AM »
I saw a ton of them yesterday also. Might have to cast at them now!

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 07:52:12 AM »
I saw a ton of them yesterday also. Might have to cast at them now!

Try throwing at the ones where you see the pecking activity.  I was in a spot that was 4' to 6' deep and grass about 1' to 2' under the surface.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 05:02:38 PM »
Zelma some pretty good numbers. Haven't run across the lanternfly up here yet on the water.

Bass are starting to put the feed on. Caught one today and it puked a couple crawfish up.

Big fish today 18",  runner up was 17"
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 08:13:01 AM »
I saw so many yesterday. No doubt we can call this an infestation. I saw a building that was literally peppered with them.