Author Topic: suspending lures  (Read 8049 times)

Offline BIGCREW

• River Rat
suspending lures
« on: May 12, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »
anybody use these lures,it says the lure will dive 3 to 5 feet and suspend,do they suspend? do they really only dive 3 to 5 feet? there made by rapala,I used to get cheap lures at walmart but they don't carry them anymore,they were made by renegade,I caught tons of fish on them and you didn't care to much if you lost one,seems most lures are over 5 bucks that hurts if you have a bad day and loose a few,I have 5 of them left but the bills are broke off and they don't dive anymore been trying to come up with something to make bills out of,I thought those glue on fingernails would work but the smallest is to big, going to try making some out of a soda can tonight

Offline FM

• Captain of Da' Bait Team
  • Administrator
  • Life is Good on the Susky
Re: suspending lures
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 09:05:56 PM »
As a shorebound angler the crankbait type of lures: suspending jerking, sinking and floating have all been problematic for me. Basically your are reeling your investment right at the reef. Suspending lures are neutrally buoyant, the same density as water they don't float or sink in theory. I still don't think I'd bet $10 bucks on that. I was never able to invest enough money to become very proficient at using these types of lures. I have a couple hundred of them but I'm very stingy about using them lol. Maybe this will be the year. I think if you spent enough time using and losing them you would get to be good at it and lose less of them. That is what happened with me and leadhead jigs. I lose them but can go for long periods with the same jig. Same with Thomas Inline Spinners. I have used them so much that I can fish them like they are an extension of my body.
FM

Offline HellBender

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:18:51 PM »
Some of my favorite walleye lures are X-rap, husky jerk, smithwick, rapala countdown, etc.

X-raps usually need no adjustments and that's good cuz they aint cheap!
Husky jerks & Smithwicks sometimes either need a hook snipped off if they sink or a piece of wire wound around the shank if they float.
Countdowns sink which can be very effective for getting walleyes out of shore line rip-rap

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 08:27:10 AM »
Some of my favorite walleye lures are X-rap, husky jerk, smithwick, rapala countdown, etc.

X-raps usually need no adjustments and that's good cuz they aint cheap!
Husky jerks & Smithwicks sometimes either need a hook snipped off if they sink or a piece of wire wound around the shank if they float.
Countdowns sink which can be very effective for getting walleyes out of shore line rip-rap

Some of my favorite lures also.It s**ks loosing them in the river or anywhere else but, they do catch lots of rish.X RAPS are my favorite for eyes in the susky or the BIG D.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline CatfishJones

• Fishing with Grizzly
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 11:13:23 AM »
I tried a host of suspending jerkbaits and haven't caught any fish in the susky. Oddly enough though, they work pretty well in the Chesapeake. I can't really find any other baits that will beat a wacky worm rig, roundball jighead and a curly tail, or fishing a tube.
Keep your lines tight and your drag set!

Offline Kingfisher

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 11:47:54 AM »
We crush them in the susky on suspending jerkbaits...X-raps in particular, but not this time of year.  Need clearer water.  They are dynamite in the Fall.  Jerkbait fishing the susky is my favorite in the Fall!  Caught a 5-6lb walleye on the Xrap last fall also.  They are awesome baits, just need to know when and where to fish them.  FALL is when the jerkbait bite is on.
"Ya can't get em wishin, ya gotta go fishin!"

Offline WADMAN

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 11:31:46 PM »
Wading in the Susky, suspending lures a must for me. Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow 90mm. Hammer the smallies and the 'eyes. Would use and recommend these above all other lures. Do have a full arsenal of other lures, though. #2 Smithwick Suspending Rogue. Hard even placing Rapala in the top 5 lures I'd use!!!

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 08:43:38 AM »
YO ZURI is the top of the line.big bucks BUT great lures.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline Gundog

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 06:37:25 PM »
I like to use the Smithwick Suspending Rogues and Cabelas (cheap) Suspending stickbaits. I,like FM, use them sparingly because of the areas I fish and that I fish from shore but its a great bait at the right time.
There's a fine line between fishing....and standing on the shore like an idiot