Author Topic: crankbaits  (Read 43056 times)

Offline Susky

• River Rat
crankbaits
« on: April 09, 2015, 07:00:48 PM »
What style, size, color crank baits work best for everyone on the river?  I like one that runs on the shallow side but deep enough to tick bottom now and then.  Greys/silver colors work best for me everywhere.

Offline FrankieTheFish

• Smallie Slayer
Re: crankbaits
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
My favorite for the smallies are the round, bulky square bills in a crayfish pattern. Most square bills are shallow divers, running down to about five feet. They're for when the smallies are up on the shallow rock. The square bill rarely gets hung up, it's designed to be digging on bottom. It's a fantastic imitation of a crayfish scurrying on bottom, and they whack it. Especially in the spring and fall.

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 06:51:32 AM »
SMALL BABY BASS SHALLOW DIVER.Durk turned me on to them. ;)
If durks on the river thatsv whats on the end of his line. :)
We have been useing them for years.
Towards evening we throw on the chugbugs.
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline KCARP819

• FISH FEAR ME
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 08:01:19 PM »
THOSE WORK GOOD BUT YOU CANT BEAT THE REBEL CRAW ;)

Offline Gundog

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 09:07:10 PM »
I found a few bargain bin crankbaits in dark red (almost black) that are shallow divers with a wide wobble. I think the wobble is what really gets the smallies attention. I can't throw them in most of the areas I fish cause of all the rocks but in a few places with gravel or mud bottoms they can be dynamite.
There's a fine line between fishing....and standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline FrankieTheFish

• Smallie Slayer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 09:48:46 PM »
Gundog- Try the square bills, they deflect right off of the rocks and trigger reaction strikes. When the water approaches 60, and the bass move up shallow to spawn, they're money. Try them in mid-May, I'm telling you guys!  ;)

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »
I use the square bills,work great.only thing is,i get my swivel wraped around the bill sometimes,cant figure it out,i even tried #12 swivels wich is way too small???? ???

Offline WADMAN

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 06:53:32 PM »
Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow 90mm floating or suspending. Best colors have all been discontinued with a change in pattern design. Chartreuse and silver and yellow with green back. All shallow divers. Not much deep waters where I am fishing. 6' is a DEEP hole!

Offline Gundog

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 08:27:44 PM »
Frankie I wish I could show you the areas I'm talking about. When I say its full of rocks that is an understatement.  I've tried crankbaits with square bills and round bills, both with the same results. Snag city. These areas has taken alot of my best lures. I've learned over the years of fishing these areas you can't throw certain baits and the baits that you do throw you have to keep moving otherwise you will lose them to the rocks. If the river was low enough to wade out to get the lures I would not mind but that usually isn't the case in the spring. But I will try some square bills in other areas. I, like alot of others, am getting really itchy to get out and fish the river. Hopefully next week it will be low enough and the water temp will be high enough to make it fishable.
There's a fine line between fishing....and standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline FrankieTheFish

• Smallie Slayer
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 11:14:15 PM »
I use the square bills,work great.only thing is,i get my swivel wraped around the bill sometimes,cant figure it out,i even tried #12 swivels wich is way too small???? ???

Chez- Just tie it direct to the split ring. It makes swapping out lures a little longer of a process, but that should eliminate the problem.

Offline FrankieTheFish

• Smallie Slayer
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 11:19:13 PM »
Frankie I wish I could show you the areas I'm talking about. When I say its full of rocks that is an understatement.  I've tried crankbaits with square bills and round bills, both with the same results. Snag city. These areas has taken alot of my best lures. I've learned over the years of fishing these areas you can't throw certain baits and the baits that you do throw you have to keep moving otherwise you will lose them to the rocks. If the river was low enough to wade out to get the lures I would not mind but that usually isn't the case in the spring. But I will try some square bills in other areas. I, like alot of others, am getting really itchy to get out and fish the river. Hopefully next week it will be low enough and the water temp will be high enough to make it fishable.

Gundog- I still do get hung up with them occasionally, but far less than with a round bill. My little trick is to stop the retrieve when I feel the bait starting to stick, they'll float up and downstream of the snag. Most of them are floaters just for that reason. It's not always easy to stop it at the right time, but I've gotten good with how long I've fished them. I get a lot of bites doing it, too.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:21:52 PM by FrankieTheFish »

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 09:57:58 AM »
Chez- Just tie it direct to the split ring. It makes swapping out lures a little longer of a process, but that should eliminate the problem.

WILL TRY IT BROTHER :)

Offline Susky

• River Rat
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 08:12:08 PM »
Before I started using baby bass crankbaits
I used tiger fire crankbaits and crawdad color
and I trolled with rapala shad rap silver they
worked good. Last year me and Chez were
down falls and I caught a smallie on a
zura spook. Who knew  8)

Smallies love them Spook's durk.  Them and tiny torpedoes.  Love watching them blow up on top water.

Offline Susky

• River Rat
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 08:15:27 PM »
I with Frankie. Stopping the retrieve does eliminate some of the hang ups and the stop and go routine often triggers strikes. Especially when they aren't into a steady retrieve.

Offline HenryDavid

• White Fly Maniac
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 04:35:19 PM »
When the river is high and murky I do well on high vibration crank baits, whatever gives off the most vibration.