Author Topic: crankbaits  (Read 43057 times)

Offline Susky

• River Rat
Re: crankbaits
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 08:41:19 PM »
Absolutely Durk.  Nothing like it man.  Try some pop R's too. I do well on them too.  And buzz bait . ...  It seems that buzz baits catch big fish. Great stuff.

Offline FrankieTheFish

• Smallie Slayer
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 07:03:46 PM »
Nothing beats catching them on a topwater! I'd never use a crankbait ever again if they would eat them 24/7/365!

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 06:46:58 AM »
Topwater is by far my favorite.
             But
I also like the excitement when a 3LB,smallie stops your tube jig dead on the DAMS in NY.
Something about those Smallies in them dams,They fight like animals,Maybe its because they are so deep.
Alll I know is I cant wait. :)
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 02:21:23 PM »
Any of you guys use the floating prop baits on the river.
I dont mean the tiny torpedos,i mean the bigger ones.
Years ago we would have a ball right before dark agsinst the shore line with them.i still have a few.i think they were called WoodChoppers.I seen a video on utube with the rapala props and it got me thinking about them.gunna give them a shot agsin this year and see what happens.

Offline FrankieTheFish

• Smallie Slayer
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 10:52:50 PM »
Any of you guys use the floating prop baits on the river.
I dont mean the tiny torpedos,i mean the bigger ones.
Years ago we would have a ball right before dark agsinst the shore line with them.i still have a few.i think they were called WoodChoppers.I seen a video on utube with the rapala props and it got me thinking about them.gunna give them a shot agsin this year and see what happens.

I've been using the Rapala prop baits for two years now, and they work great, Chez. They're very versatile, you could burn them like a buzzbait, twitch it slow, and everything in between. This thread is really getting me fired up for when they start hitting the topwaters in late May!  ;D

Offline Susky

• River Rat
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 07:21:54 PM »
Theo I still have some boy Howdy's in my box too.  Great to water lure.  I agree with you 100% on #1 not setting the hook on a strike and #2 the big boys not make a huge splash on the strike.  Some if the biggest bass I've caught have basically just slurped them underwater.  The 12 inchers are the ones who generally hit top water like a ton of bricks.  Great post.

Offline zziipp

• A LIL LESS BITCHN AND A LOT MORE FISHN. "ZZIIPP"
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 08:07:42 AM »
even with jitterbugs i find that a lot of the bigger ones just suck it up and dont even break the water on the hit. same principal dont try and set the hook early most times the fish will set it for you.i love topwater bass fishing at night.you cant see the lure but you can hear it blop blop blop and then you hear that slurp or the splash. if you try and set the hook early and rip the lure to far from the fish the chase is over. if you just keep the retrieve steady or stop it for a second or two they will usually keep in hot pursuit if they are actively feeding.me and andy banged some pigs last yr.

WAIST HIGH IN WATER AND KNEE DEEP IN FISH.LIFE IS GOOD.
                          "ZZIIPP"

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 10:45:19 AM »
I've been using the Rapala prop baits for two years now, and they work great, Chez. They're very versatile, you could burn them like a buzzbait, twitch it slow, and everything in between. This thread is really getting me fired up for when they start hitting the topwaters in late May!  ;D

Frankie,can you get some distance casting them???
And thanks for the info,brother!!!!!!

Offline Susky

• River Rat
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 06:56:58 PM »
Those are some large green carp boys.  I bet that was a good time.

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 07:01:51 PM »
SOMEONE POST A PICTURE OF A BOY HOWDEY LURE<PLEASE

Offline Susky

• River Rat
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 07:40:39 PM »

Offline Susky

• River Rat
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 07:42:18 PM »

There ya go chez.  I can't figure how to do multiple pics in one post so you got 2

Offline Susky

• River Rat
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 07:47:45 PM »
Oh yeah, I'm glad you asked for that picture because I opened my top water box and went  :o. That box needs restocking.  I will have to see how many cabelas points I have saved up!

Offline Susky

• River Rat
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 08:34:11 PM »
Theo the ones I posted pictures of are the chrome with black top.  I have had a lot of success with that color in crank baits too.

Offline Susky

• River Rat
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 09:18:16 PM »
Yeah the lighting in the garage sucks.  I agree with. Very dimoke and very effective.  It mimic most bait fish color wise in my opinion.