Author Topic: Chatter baits  (Read 6957 times)

Offline miller17015

• River Rat
Chatter baits
« on: May 20, 2015, 08:11:06 AM »
Hey just a quick tip from my own findings if you buy some of the chatter baits from bass pro like 6$ ea. be sure to check the eye hook that attaches the body of the lure to the spoon. wouldnt want the first cast to be the last. i went out the past weekend on a lake in the rain and lost my new frog chatterbait on the first cast watched in fly and all that came back was the spoon, so i got out my other one just a shad color and made sure is pinched the small gape in the eye hook shut so i wouldnt loose this one and after and hour of fighting the current in my kayak and the down pouring rain topped with enough seaweed to make salads for life i hooked into a nice large mouth off a point bout 10' out from a rocky bank but he got off right as i went to bring him in. then if that wasnt  enough to almost ruin the day i had my string snap and lost the other chatterbait shortly after. moral of the story check your baits and line before fishing.

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
Re: Chatter baits
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 01:17:35 PM »
Ive seen those chatterbaits around for a long time.
I never tried one.Anyone have sucess with them?
What species do you target with them?
ON MY INDIAN RUG,AND A PIPE TO SHARE!!!

Offline miller17015

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 11:03:27 AM »
well i went out for large mouth bass and got what would of been a nice sized one for the lake i was fishing in, but like i said i lost both of the lures that day one because of defect and the other due to my line snapping. To top it off i was in a kayak and it was pouring down rain and the section i was fishing was so overgrown with seaweed it was unreal. i thought it would work just like a buzz bait but they dont they are more like a buzz bait/ jig as they drop down and the faster you reel the higher it swims. i was just casting into the banks and slow rolling it letting it bounce off the bottom every now and again. i really liked them for the little bit of time that i did have them lol. i due plan on getting some new ones and hitting the lake again soon in a different spot and i will check all my baits for any issues before hitting the water.

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 01:59:14 PM »
Thanks brother.and Good Luck.

Offline johnfries7

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 01:57:43 AM »
yes chez i allways have one in my bag great for lsrgies so so for smallies jfm7

Offline miller17015

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 09:01:52 AM »
Quick update here i was going to take a trip to bass pro and buy some new ones and hit the lake this weekend but instead of paying the price of 6$ on average per chatterbait i looked into making my own and if you bulk order and assemble them you can get them for bout 2.50$ a piece, but if that is to much overall work just be sure to check the eye hook on the jig head to make sure your blade doesn't un attach and you lose your 6$ lure. I cant wait to get my order in this way i can custom paint the jig heads and make my own skirt colors the way i want plus there is always the great satisfaction of catching something on a lure you made.

Offline chez

• SLAMMIN THE SMALLIES
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 11:21:24 AM »
I looked at some in Wally World thismorning.
They had 2 colors.
White
Black and a bit of blue.
$5.49 each.
Allmost bought 2,met a friend there,got distracted and wslked to the registers together.Forgot about grabbing 1.
Next time.

Offline miller17015

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 07:36:54 AM »
i looked the other day like you said for price but our walmart only had chartreuse colors and only in 3/8, which is why i ordered my own skirt colors to mix and match and different jig sizes.