Author Topic: less fish.  (Read 1083 times)

Offline troutman

• River Rat
less fish.
« on: June 22, 2021, 03:56:23 PM »
Yesterday i went to the susquehanna  river and put in my kayak at the montg0mery launch to do some smalllmouth fishing, the water was a tad murky but still very fishable. And my catch for a long day was a mere seven,  used a variety of lures that allways worked but still did bad. any more i don really start catching fish in numbers until september when years ago i would hammer bass. Now i only work a small stretch of river But there just seems to be less fish on the mainstem until fall and again in the spri ng But summer less bass, mean while i read reports about guys hammering them on the north branch. Now when am wading i see plenty of bait crawfish minnows and such but still less bass. I did see studys on infishermen about bass that migrate 50 miles  or more do they do this in the susky and come back down or up for some reason? your thoughts on this.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Re: less fish.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 04:15:12 PM »
I travel fairly often to Harrisburg from Selinsgrove. Passing the Montgomery Access I have noticed far fewer trailers in that access. Weekdays or weekends doesn't seem to matter. In past years it was always packed.

In addition...my opinion is that there are far fewer "resident" smallmouth on the upper mainstem due to spawning and pollution problems that have damaged that area over the last 10-15 years. The north branch has not been as affected by these problems. This can be seen by the spawning data over the last 10-15 years.

Yes...smallmouth do migrate a long way to spawn. Spring smallmouth fishing on the tribs near me remains pretty good and these are large, adult smallmouth coming up from the river. I haven't fished by boat much for 4-5 years but there was also a fall migration that stopped migrating smallmouth at the dam at the Hummels Wharf power plant. Fishing there was awesome but I have been told that experience is not what it was in years past. Again...there are just fewer fish in this area.

Bill

« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 05:37:01 PM by DRY »
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline troutman

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 11:35:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply dry, What a shame.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 04:34:08 AM »
The "Silent Spring" is coming!

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 09:45:55 AM »
The "Silent Spring" is coming!

Yes sir...slowly but surely.

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 07:45:23 PM »
Yes sir...slowly but surely.

Bill,
Did you notice how few honey bees there are? I remember as a kid one did not even think about walking through clover bare footed! Thanks Chem lawn!! One more thing should be outlawed. I will have 2 bee boxes by next spring. It ain't much it but...
Phil

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 08:11:46 PM »

Enjoying what I can. forgot to smile. Looks like LM still spawning

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 09:46:39 AM »
Nice fish Phil! Keep after them!
Going to get hot this week.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 11:00:42 AM »
Thanks!! Yesterday was almost as bad as the weekend with the number of fisherman!! I did manage a 2.75 lb SM - low numbers went home early.