Author Topic: June  (Read 2947 times)

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
Re: June
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »
This morning at first light I headed for the same spot that was so good last week.   I started with the swimbait that had worked so well and caught fish on my first two casts.  Naturally I had visions of an epic day, only to have the fishing gods smack me.  Those were the only ones I caught on that bait the rest of the trip. 

I managed to pick up a few more on tubes and worms, but when I didnít have a bump for over an hour I headed for the ramp at 11:00.  Final tally was ten.   I really thought it was going to be a better day but the water temp was down to 73.  I guess that was the big issue. 

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 08:54:13 PM »
Rick,
I would have been back there the next day! If the grandkids did not want to go swimming.
Phil

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 12:59:19 PM »
This morning at first light I headed for the same spot that was so good last week.   I started with the swimbait that had worked so well and caught fish on my first two casts.  Naturally I had visions of an epic day, only to have the fishing gods smack me.  Those were the only ones I caught on that bait the rest of the trip. 

I managed to pick up a few more on tubes and worms, but when I didnít have a bump for over an hour I headed for the ramp at 11:00.  Final tally was ten.   I really thought it was going to be a better day but the water temp was down to 73.  I guess that was the big issue.
This morning was a bad morning with that front coming through. I was out this morning and not a whole lot of bits. So don't feel bad.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 03:42:18 PM »
How much rain did you get yesterday?  I heard Williamsport got hammered, but the prediction for the HBG gauge hasnít changed. 

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2021, 05:03:24 PM »
At my house I got .40'  yesterday. Some places got more and some other places less.
The river come up a foot overnight and was off color, but not muddy.
Water temp 70 degrees this morning.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2021, 07:30:28 PM »
I spoke to someone who was fishing in the Selinsgrove area today.  He said that the water was fine until around 11:00 when it visibly changed to chocolate.  By the time he got off the water and drove back to HBG it was bad down here. 

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2021, 01:14:51 PM »
All couple from last night.
Thinking the first might be a PB for the season.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2021, 01:42:05 PM »
Weights?

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2021, 04:33:48 PM »
Dry
Neither boy measures or weighs their fish. Just catch them and throw them back in.
Bugs me a little  :D
I do believe the top one was 22"

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2021, 07:35:28 PM »
Yeah...I guess some of us are a little obsessive-compulsive about what we catch.
Looks like a nice smallmouth.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2021, 06:55:45 AM »
Dry
Neither boy measures or weighs their fish. Just catch them and throw them back in.
Bugs me a little  :D
I do believe the top one was 22"
Nice!!

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2021, 08:54:29 AM »
Nice!!

Thanks Phil

Yeah...I guess some of us are a little obsessive-compulsive about what we catch.
Looks like a nice smallmouth.

Bill

Dry I like at least knowing the weight on the bigger fish.

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2021, 07:29:43 AM »
June ended pretty well for me.  I am still using the jet on the river since the level hasn't dropped too far and the clear water is giving me a chance to see ledges and other structure so I can mark them.

I was on the main stem at first light on 6/28.  The air temp was already 77 and the water temp was 82.  I headed to a spot I felt comfortable navigating to in the low light and started catching right away.  I tried a number of baits with swimbaits, madtoms, and worms all working.  Most came on the swimbait; nothing on topwater, crankbaits, or spinnerbaits (although I only had a large one tied on and didn't switch.)  Around 8:00 the sun was up and that action stopped so I headed up river a bit.  Worms produced some more fish until I decided to get off the water at 10:00 when it was 85 degrees.

Final tally was 17 bass.  Most were cookie cutters and a couple pushing 17".

I decided to go back on 6/29.  Again I was on the water early, this time even before first light.  Went to the same spot and had nothing in the first 20 minutes on the swimbaits.  I picked up a few after that on worms.  Once dawn broke I realized that even though the air and water temp were the same as the day before the sky was very different.  On Monday there were clouds.  On Tuesday there were none.  I headed up river a little earlier and stayed with the worm.  I was ready to head in at 10:00 but "one more cast" produced a 19" SM, the best of the day.  Of course I had to stay longer.  Only caught two more over the next hour but both had size.  Headed to the ramp at 11:00 with the air temp at 91.

Final tally on Tuesday was 23 SM.  Again many were the cookie cutter size but the larger fish and the end of the trip made up for it.  I won't get out for a while now between the weather and the holiday.  Maybe the forecasted rain will keep the river up for July.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2021, 08:00:33 AM »
Sounds like the new boat is paying off!!

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2021, 10:20:52 AM »
Sounds like the new boat is paying off!!

I will never reach break even on it though.  ;)