Author Topic: Fall Fishing  (Read 13888 times)

Online zelmo

• River Rat
Re: Fall Fishing
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 07:24:14 AM »
Also had to use the push pole a few times lately.

Did you need the push pole to get off a rock or to get across a bigger shallow area?  One thing that scares the hell out of me is the prospect of getting into a spot that you can't get out of because you don't know the area. 

The gauge at HBG is at 2.9' with no rain in sight.  I wonder how low it will go?

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 08:00:08 AM »
I carry knee high mucks for that! Also had to use the push pole a few times lately.

Will have to see if the mucks are high enough. The water is so low I got to get my crew cab truck about 1/2 in the water to load.
I haven't had to use a push pole yet.
Going to be windy today 20-25mph gusts
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:45:19 AM by Pawatch »
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 09:06:14 AM »
Will have to see if the mucks are high enough. The water is so low I got to get my crew cab truck about 1/2 in the water to load.
I haven't had to use a push pole yet.
Going to be windy today 20-25mph gusts
Sounds like you have to go in farther than me. I use the pole to stay away from grass at the shoreline, so I do not get grass in the intake. Got a little adventurous yesterday and had to pole off of rocks 2-3 times, where I couldn't get off with motor. Probably got stuck 3-5 miles per hour. I learned the hard way a few years ago, got stuck on a rock at 5 miles per hour plus at night. So I took all my clothes off, put on my life vest, and pushed her off.
I would sure hate to get stuck like that in cold water!
Phil

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 09:10:55 AM »
got stuck on a rock at 5 miles per hour plus at night. So I took all my clothes off, put on my life vest, and pushed her off.

Would you have gone skinny dipping in broad daylight?    ;D

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 10:36:25 AM »
Would you have gone skinny dipping in broad daylight?    ;D
NEWSFLASH
Old man arrested at Muddy Creek for indecent exposure!  ;D

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 03:04:13 PM »
Just wear a pair of speedo's under your jeans for such emergencies.  :-\

Our Skinny water ramp, at the end of the ramp it had a 2 ft drop. Looks like they fixed that by filling the end up with some good size stone.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2020, 06:30:24 PM »
Did you need the push pole to get off a rock or to get across a bigger shallow area?  One thing that scares the hell out of me is the prospect of getting into a spot that you can't get out of because you don't know the area. 

The gauge at HBG is at 2.9' with no rain in sight.  I wonder how low it will go?
Just to get off of a rock. I have always gotten out. I would not push off to get in, that would be a no go. What is tricky for me is getting out with current. I will start the engine, pull up the trolling motor, and then idle out. If I cannot get in with the jet I do not go. I actually can do better in shallow areas with the jet and not the trolling motor.
Based on the mud line on my boat it must sit in the water 5" and the jet intake is 6"
Now that the river is low. I think its a good opportunity for marking spots. I wish I had a better sounder for marking. I have an old hand unit I might use to mark spots now, and transfer to a better sounder later. I got a crap sounder on both my boats.

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 08:42:58 AM »
Phil
There are a lot of depth finders out there that are feature filled, and not that expensive.
That way You can mark way points. I know I am only using half of my depth finders features.
I have marked structure where I have caught multiple fish out in the middle of the river. Turns out it was a hump.

I like to find a shallow shoal in the summer and just see how much my boat drafts. It gives me somewhat of an idea how shallow of water my boat can be used in.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 09:01:41 AM »
Phil
There are a lot of depth finders out there that are feature filled, and not that expensive.
That way You can mark way points. I know I am only using half of my depth finders features.
I have marked structure where I have caught multiple fish out in the middle of the river. Turns out it was a hump.

I like to find a shallow shoal in the summer and just see how much my boat drafts. It gives me somewhat of an idea how shallow of water my boat can be used in.
I marked a bunch of spots yesterday with an old hand held Magellan. I know I can transfer later. I have used this for marking Raystown maps and ATV trails in Potter CO. Just a lot of work. I also use Motion X GPS. on the Iphone. I need a bigger screen. I did look for a used unit, but there does not seem to be much of a market there. I was hoping to find an older unit and use for GPS only. Built in maps would be essential.

Offline stonecat

• River Rat
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2020, 05:15:00 PM »

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2020, 06:09:05 PM »

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 07:56:14 AM »
Well we picked up some much needed from this storm.
1.35" here in Williamsport. Not enough to really effect the river though.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 09:00:39 AM »
Yeah Marietta went up 0.15"  ;D
I am not complaining because  this low level is presenting some opportunities not there in heavier flows. Launching however has been a b____!
Phil

Offline BigHam31

• River Rat
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2020, 09:01:14 AM »
Do you put in at Linden?  I have only ever put in there once and went down river, everyone else seemed to be going up river.  I showed up not knowing there was a tourny that day.

Is there enough water to run that section now?  I typically have been fishing the Juniata, but that stretch would actually be closer for me.  Great pics and thanks for any feedback!

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2020, 06:15:24 PM »
Do you put in at Linden?  I have only ever put in there once and went down river, everyone else seemed to be going up river.  I showed up not knowing there was a tourny that day.

Is there enough water to run that section now?  I typically have been fishing the Juniata, but that stretch would actually be closer for me.  Great pics and thanks for any feedback!

Antlers launch which is renamed Linden launch has good water to put in. Good fishing up river 5-7' of water, A lot of people try to get up through Cranes riffles to fish which is almost impossible right now even in a jet.
Just up stream from railroad bridge is some cribs that hold fish. Heading up river approx 3 miles you will come to an island the water gets pretty skinny through that channel slightly less than 2'.
Fish commission still has marker buoys out. Not sure when they pull them.