Author Topic: Older...but happier!!  (Read 1002 times)

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Older...but happier!!
« on: March 11, 2021, 02:08:05 PM »
Yesterday was the first time the Danville temperature hit 40F.
I was ready.
I started on my local trib but after an hour I decided they were not there yet. Not a sneeze. Might be a little early for the spawn migration.
So...I got a ham and cheese sandwich on homemade bread at a local country store and headed for the Que.
At my house this AM the wind was light and westerly...when I got to the Que it was from the south and somewhat brisk. The shoreline was becoming muddy from the wave action. Not good.
Oh well!!
I guess I got up on the right side of bed today because over the next hour and one-half I caught 9 smallmouth.
1 - 3.5 pounder     3 - 3 pounders     4 - 2.5 pounders   and 1 - 2.25 pounder   
I would have stayed longer but my neuropathy was driving me nuts. Had to go back to the car for Tylenol and then I petered out.

3.5 pounder

3 pounders

Well...it has started and I couldn't be happier. Now if my 90 year old legs and back would just cooperate.

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
Re: Older...but happier!!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 05:01:49 PM »
Dry
One heck of a day for your first day back!!
You need to ease back into it... :D
Some beautiful fish!

What was your water temperature down your way? Was 38.1 Tuesday up here.
Fish don't seem to be biting to much from the bank up here.

Thanks for sharing!
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 05:26:23 PM »
...You need to ease back into it... :D
...What was your water temperature down your way? Was 38.1 Tuesday up here.

Water temp was around 41F

The past 2 days I've been doing a lot of bending doing yard work...fishing is more important right now...got to save myself for the important stuff  8)

Most of these fish were not real aggressive...fished the undulator and the small Lockett minnow...had a number of short hits...the kind that say "I'm not quite sure I want to eat yet".

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 06:45:40 PM »
45-46 degrees at Duncannon. only caught 4 fish but 3 were 14, 15, 16"

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 07:12:51 PM »
45-46 degrees at Duncannon. only caught 4 fish but 3 were 14, 15, 16"

Good job Phil!  They are some decent fish.

That's a decent jump in water temp down your way.

Water temp was around 41F

The past 2 days I've been doing a lot of bending doing yard work...fishing is more important right now...got to save myself for the important stuff  8)

Most of these fish were not real aggressive...fished the undulator and the small Lockett minnow...had a number of short hits...the kind that say "I'm not quite sure I want to eat yet".

Bill

Dry you got your priorities straight at least  :)
Thanks for the information on the fish not being real aggressive. A lot of times I find myself fishing to fast...It's a hard habit to break.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 08:00:39 AM »
amity hall parking lot was full. I did talk to two guys who went to the river he said they had about 12 fish. I stayed in the Juniata. I saw the headwaters had boats everywhere.

Offline 1iarrowking

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 10:09:19 AM »
Yesterday was the first time the Danville temperature hit 40F.
I was ready.
I started on my local trib but after an hour I decided they were not there yet. Not a sneeze. Might be a little early for the spawn migration.
So...I got a ham and cheese sandwich on homemade bread at a local country store and headed for the Que.
At my house this AM the wind was light and westerly...when I got to the Que it was from the south and somewhat brisk. The shoreline was becoming muddy from the wave action. Not good.
Oh well!!
I guess I got up on the right side of bed today because over the next hour and one-half I caught 9 smallmouth.
1 - 3.5 pounder     3 - 3 pounders     4 - 2.5 pounders   and 1 - 2.25 pounder   
I would have stayed longer but my neuropathy was driving me nuts. Had to go back to the car for Tylenol and then I petered out.

3.5 pounder

3 pounders

Well...it has started and I couldn't be happier. Now if my 90 year old legs and back would just cooperate.

Bill

Nice going Bill, you're amazing.  Looks like the water is going to get deep real soon.  My doctor has me on Gabapentin for my neuropathy, which is rated sever by the testers.  It gives some temporary relief and it's not expensive.  Last year under my old Geisinger plan it cost $12.60 for 90 pills.  I think this year under my new Highmark plan it will be $12.00.  I can take 1- 3  a day at my discretion.  I usually take 1 or 2.  It doesn't make me drowsy or produce any side effects for me but it can on some people.  You might want to talk to your doctor about it.   Nothing helps like getting my shoes off and getting off my feet.  Ain't getting old great. ;D
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Offline shiver318

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 11:58:38 AM »
Nice catches Dry, fishing keeps us young at heart, the rest of the body not so much. This getting old sure isn't for sissies! You give the rest of us younger seniors hope.