Author Topic: Warm me up baby !!  (Read 972 times)

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
Warm me up baby !!
« on: March 23, 2021, 03:31:37 PM »
Today was the second consecutive day that water temps reached above 40F...
so I spent 2 hours on the Que after lunch.
Water 42F...slight upriver wind...partly cloudy...water clarity tremendous

The only lure I fished was the Undulator with silicone threads attached...on a stand up football jig...size 1

6 smallies were caught ranging from 2.25 to 3 pounds

It's gonna warm up more later this week...might be a time to get out. Here's 3 of the biggest.

Notice the black pigment on the dorsal fin of the first fish...the smallmouth problems are still with us.

Bill

The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: Warm me up baby !!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 07:26:18 PM »
We went out Ft Hunter, though I wanted to go to Amity Hall. My buddy will not go without shiners. I did get a walleye on swimbait,

All other fish caught on shiners about 15 each. Seemed like they were all males!

Phil

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 10:34:31 PM »
Bill - at what water temperature do you find the smallies moving into the tribs?

Phil - how many other boats were in that area?

Rick
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 07:32:12 AM by zelmo »

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 06:51:17 AM »

Phil - how many other boats were in that area?

Rick
We launched 0930 and there were 4 trailers including mine. I think it was about the same when we left at about 1730. Ft hunter is not my favorite lunch because of the traffic. The anchor was a big tool yesterday.
Phil

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 07:33:14 AM »
We launched 0930 and there were 4 trailers including mine. I think it was about the same when we left at about 1730. Ft hunter is not my favorite lunch because of the traffic. The anchor was a big tool yesterday.
Phil

That is light for that spot!

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 09:21:28 AM »
Bill - at what water temperature do you find the smallies moving into the tribs?...

Around 50F...usually a week or two before trout season...sometimes by the end of March...depends a lot on how far up the trib you are fishing and whether the water has been high enough for migration...but they usually find their way to the same areas every year.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 12:56:42 PM »
We launched 0930 and there were 4 trailers including mine. I think it was about the same when we left at about 1730.

Did you notice any difference in the bite between morning and afternoon?

BTW - I have been told that if you try fishing with artificials anywhere near someone using live bait you don't stand a chance.  Maybe that is why you didn't get a bite while your buddy was fishing with shiners.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 05:28:32 PM »
Did you notice any difference in the bite between morning and afternoon?

BTW - I have been told that if you try fishing with artificials anywhere near someone using live bait you don't stand a chance.  Maybe that is why you didn't get a bite while your buddy was fishing with shiners.
We did better later in the day! I thought it interesting it seemed like no females! I was fishing lures after the walleye and I told my buddy give your rod and I used shiners the rest of the day. I would say we found 2 bunches. I never fished with shiners before.

Online Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 06:42:49 PM »
Some good reading...Thanks
We got the jet John 1648 jet out Yesterday for its yearly maiden voyage, 5 pulls for it to start which wasn't to bad.
My boy and me got cut short on fishing. He had a dog emergency, his dog dislocated it's hip and was waiting for a call from the vet to pick it up.

Sunday at our Linden launch about 20 boats. Water temp was around 43 degrees.

River is suppose to come up a couple feet by Friday. But the wind on Friday is supposed to be 25-32 wind with 52mph gusts.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.