Author Topic: Cat Fever  (Read 593 times)

Offline brownmk19

• River Rat
Cat Fever
« on: February 13, 2021, 05:45:05 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love me some ice fishing! Definitely one of my favorite pursuits. But the past week or so has me thinking Spring, primarily because we have gotten so much friggin SNOW that it has made walking anywhere on our frozen lakes to be quite the chore to say the least. With that in mind, I thought I might spark some conversation to get our collective creative juices flowing regarding the upcoming Spring season.

I've definitely got the itch to get after some of the best catfishing of the year, which seems to occur shortly after ice out on our river as water temps begin their slow climb out of the 30's. I get excited just thinking about it lol. I did more fishing last spring from my boat, as it gives me a little more mobility and I also don't have to do as much battle with the shoreline mud, but I still shore fish regularly, especially if I'm short on time. One thing I have been doing, that has been working really well the last couple seasons is "recycling" live bait from the ice fishing season into cut bait for Spring catties. Every ice trip, afterwards I take the dead minnows from tip up fishing and use a vacuum sealer to seal the bait and freeze it. The vacuum sealing keeps the bait remarkably fresh until I am ready to go fishing in the Spring. It's a lot easier than constantly trying to keep a supply of creek chubs and suckers at the ready (which I do anyways throughout the ice fishing season), although hands down, truly fresh cut bait reigns supreme in the Spring time. Just food for thought.

My quest for my first ever Flathead will continue again this summer, and fingers crossed, maybe I'll be successful this year. Got a couple spots up north of me that I think hold some potential, that I would like to try out....not for flatheads, but for channel cats.

I also think that after last year's hooksetting frustrations, I may finally take the leap of faith this Spring and start using circle hooks. Gonna have to train myself to not set the hook, could be comical lol.

Hope everyone out there is well and Spring will be here before we know it.