Author Topic: Noobie looking for smallies  (Read 197 times)

Offline Warhawk

• River Rat
Noobie looking for smallies
« on: June 06, 2021, 01:38:00 PM »
Hello all, just found this forum so I''l keep it brief:
Got a fishing kayak last year, once I was comfortable in it, I took her to the river and I started hunting smallmouth.  I really haven't done well at all. I'm not sure if it's where I'm going, timing, lure selection, or what but I spent the winter scratching my head. I don't need anyone's secret spot divulged, but I'm looking for places in northern York county. I've been out at multiple times at Goldsboro, Chickies Rock, and Wrightsville. Granted,  the kayak can't cover the area you would in a boat, but I really should be doing better than I am. I see pics and read about smallmouth fishing in the Susquehanna and see descriptions like "world class fishery" but the magic just isn't happening for me. Any help is appreciated and good fishing to all!

Offline zelmo

• River Rat
Re: Noobie looking for smallies
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 02:48:46 PM »
Donít get discouraged, thereís a learning curve involved.  The first thing to understand is that there are seasons throughout the year and the fish will be located in different places depending on the season.  They will also act differently throughout the day. 

As we head into the hot weather look for shallows next to drops into deeper water.  They may move from shallow to deep a couple of times per day.  Try using small plastic baits in those areas.  That is not to say other spots and baits wonít work, but small worms should get you some bites. 

You mentioned Goldsboro.  Be sure to use the last ramp up that is designated for kayaks and jet skis.  You donít need to go more than a few hundred yards from the ramp to find something.  That is not the world class fishery that you have heard about but it is a place to learn. 

Offline Warhawk

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 06:42:38 AM »
Thanks for your help and encouragement. Donít worry, I wonít give up. The ramp at Goldsboro that you speak of, I believe that is the one I have been using. That area between the ramp and that island looks like a perfect place for nice smallmouth. 8 to 12 feet deep, lots of grass and structure with an occasional drop off.  I know theyíre in there, I just have to figure out what they are looking for.

I had a chat with another kayak fisherman who seems to think York Haven below the dam is a pretty good spot. Just got to figure out how to get my boat in the water there.

Thanks again! Good luck out there!

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 10:40:24 AM »
Another good area at Marietta is River Front Launch. You can position better with kayak there in various locations (anchor shallow areas and cast to deeper stretches) and fish in deeper waters. Chickees has crazy shallow areas and I prefer overcast days there. When the water gets low, I actually will launch at River Front and later load up and go to Chickees. It is nerve racking to go that stretch in the boat.

An anchor is necessary at Marietta. there is always good flow there! typical is 35' right now a little over 36'
Phil