Author Topic: Weird day  (Read 482 times)

Online zelmo

• River Rat
Weird day
« on: July 06, 2021, 03:11:24 PM »
Between the storms last week and the holiday I hadnít been on the water in July.  Today was my only opportunity for this week so I launched before first light with plans to get off around 10:00. This was a rare trip in that I had someone with me.

The water was up and it was still heavily stained.  We did ok with several different baits, but the only fish we got in the boat were the cookie cutters.  Anything with size came unbuttoned at some point.  I rarely have that problem and my guest had the same problem.  Very strange. 

We did stay a little longer than planned but we were off the water at 11:00.  I guess between us we landed 15 Smallmouth.  It was nice to be on the main stem in July and not paranoid about getting stuck. 

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
Re: Weird day
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 09:23:17 PM »
Zelmo
Between thunderstorms and the heat I have only been getting out one morning pre week. I have wanted to get out and do some scouting in the deeper water.
River has been stained up here but it's a little low.

15 is not a bad morning!!
They have been getting a lot of rain up north,that must be keeping the main branch up down your way.

What is a comfortable level for your boat to run in? 1' or 1.5' of water ? 5' feet on the river gauge?
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 07:22:33 AM »

What is a comfortable level for your boat to run in? 1' or 1.5' of water ? 5' feet on the river gauge?

On plane the boat is supposed to run in 3".  Comfort level is another issue.  I have been spending a lot of time going out of the Fort Hunter launch to learn the water.  I know I can make it to the statue with the HBG gauge at 3.5.  Here is my issue - at that level there some are some rocks across from the ramp that are out of the water.  When I was out Tuesday the gauge was 4.38 and those rocks were no longer out of the water.  Not only that but with the water being stained you couldn't see them until you were right on top of them and they were inches under the water.  There were some in slower water that I couldn't find.  Could I have run over them without damage? Maybe/probably, that is why I built a tank.  That does mean that with the gauge at 5' I would have no concerns in the areas I have been in and know, but that also means the rocks that are out of the water at 4.5 could be under at 5'.  So it doesn't end.

I have been going out before first light and only idle across until there is light.  I have bumped a few smaller rocks at 3.6 on idle in an area that I don't touch on the return when on plane.  Is that because I can see the ripples better or because I am riding higher?  I don't know. 

I do know that the average depth in that area was 1.5' with the gauge at 3.6.  With the sun up I am sure I could run it at 1' or a little less if the water had clarity and I could navigate the rocks.  I wouldn't do that in an area I didn't know very well because I want to be sure there is someplace I can come off plane and not get stuck.  I don't think I will ever try to run in 3", at least for any distance, unless it is a mistake.

What is the river like up your way?  Do you have scattered rocks and ledges or is the bottom uniform?  How does your new rig handle it?

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 11:57:20 AM »
Comfort level is another issue.   
I fish there with a buddy who knows the area better than me. Below 4' and I am on alert!! With that little 20HP I have to gun it to make to the statue. Sometimes we go the long way around - kinda slow!!

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 02:02:45 PM »
Sometimes we go the long way around - kinda slow!!

What is the long way around?

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 05:19:38 PM »
Go across the river from the launch. Then go up river and then eventually across again. We usually go to the big pool below the statue. I believe there is a name for the pool (but I cannot remember). I have also been told the area is dangerous. we never had any problems but we are scaredy cats and do not do anything crazy. I cannot imagine you would have any problem with your boat. We anchor often.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 05:57:08 PM »
That is interesting.  I have always gone up on the east shore side, but I have seen boats arrive from the west shore side.  I thought they were the ones taking a risk.

BTW - itís referred to as the community pool.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 08:20:03 PM »
Up above our dam we got pretty good depth. And the fish commission has marker buoys out for navigation.
Up towards the end of the channel 8 miles is where the rock shelfs are.and the water gets skinny.
Usually don't like running in much less than 1.5" of water in my big jet.  Some pretty fast current also.
I run on plane through that. My dealer sais my boat should run in 8" of water but he wouldn't recommend it.  :)

Below the dam the water is a good bit skinnier. Lots of grass and main channel 3.5' of water.
I usually run the 1648 Jet Jon down there. Run that in 6"-1' of water. Not to worried with that boat.
Further down when the river is 2.5' at the gauge. The main channel heading towards Muncy is about 15" of fast current for a couple hundred yards.

Your jet with the bottom, if you hit a few shallow spots don't let up till you hit deeper water. That boat wouldn't push to easy.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 06:30:19 AM »
Gained about 5 feet of water with all the thunderstorms.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 08:22:24 AM »
Gained about 5 feet of water with all the thunderstorms...

It is an unusual summer...may even try a little shore wading if it's not too hot.  ;) :)

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 10:06:08 AM »
Just before the rain last evening I was out testing the Ranger. I was just above peach bottom. Usually the pool is up in the evening but not last night. In fact somewhat low - very rare. I see the Conowingo dam never closed the gates last night!

Bill, my daughter got me a Mission brand hat. Big and floppy, you are supposed to wet it for cooling effect. Plus I think all the bass masters will think I am a cat fisherman. that is cool then I will not have to talk to them!!