Author Topic: Half empty or half full?  (Read 243 times)

Jerkbait and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
Half empty or half full?
« on: July 13, 2021, 09:16:10 AM »
Are you the kind of person who sees the glass as half empty or half full?

I am the latter, and yesterday is a good example.  I had been hearing of good largemouth catches out of Goldsboro so I decided to take the Triton there yesterday to give it a try.  I knew storms had blown through on Sunday night but I thought that might help the bite.  I launched about 20 minutes before first light and went to a spot that works for them this time of year.  Even in the low light conditions I could tell it wasn't going to work.  Lots of floating debris and the water was chocolate. 

I worked that area for about 3 hours and had two fish to show for my efforts.  I gave up on the LM and went to a spot that usually produced SM.  After a couple more hours I had 10 and decided to call it a day.  I was still in half full mode.

The drive home really challenged that.  Coming across the I83 bridge I heard a bang and felt a jerk.  A quick look in the left side mirror confirmed my suspicion:

For those that are not familiar with the area that bridge has four lanes in each direction and it is usually packed.  Of course I was in the left lane.  I generally keep myself aware of surrounding traffic and a glance to the right mirror showed nobody over there!  I was able to get across to the "shoulder" without incident. 

Luck stayed with me as the guy who was behind me also pulled over to help.  We got the spare on after some hairy close calls with passing cars and trucks since the bad tire was on the traffic side.  As I pulled away I could see the spare needed air so I got off in HBG.  More good luck as I picked a good exit and turned on Paxton street finding a Firestone tire shop right there.  I got air in the tire and made it the rest of the way home even though the blowout had shredded the wiring to the left tail light.

This is going to cost me some coin to fix and it was very stressful but at the end of the day I feel very fortunate that nothing worse happened.  Glass half full.

Offline Phil Sweeney

• River Rat
Re: Half empty or half full?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 10:16:40 AM »
Real nice getting the help!! If it had been rush hour it would have been a nightmare getting over!

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 10:49:52 AM »
Phil, it doesn't even need to be rush hour.  Thirty seconds one way or the other.

Offline DRY

• Catch, Photograph and Release
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 11:29:18 AM »
Had that happen at the Shady Nook ramp. The drop off there shredded one of my trailer tires. I was younger then and I wasn't in traffic.
And...That's just another reason I sold my boat...don't need that stress at 75.
Glad you didn't have a worse accident.

Bill
The hours spent fishing are not subtracted from the lives of men!!

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 12:28:42 PM »

Glad you didn't have a worse accident.

Thanks Bill.  Truth be told this is something I have always dreaded happening and when it did I was surprised the repercussions were not more serious.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 07:59:32 AM »
Well, I got lucky.  The wire that was sticking out that I thought was from the tail light was actually part of the shredded  tire.  The light wasn't working because the plug had pulled out.  No need to do wiring.

New tires are at the store, and now I am waiting for the new TPMS sensor to arrive.  I should have this rig back on the road next week.

Offline Pawatch

• River Rat
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 04:50:40 PM »
Zelmo
Hope your back up and running. Glad that you got it changed without getting hit.
The only fisherman you should try to be better than.
Is the fisherman you was yesterday.

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 09:40:48 PM »
Zelmo
Hope your back up and running. Glad that you got it changed without getting hit.

Thanks.  I have everything back together but havenít taken it out on the road yet.  I have been using the jet while I can before we see summer lows (if that happens this year.).  I am going to hitch it up tomorrow and go for a short drive to check for problems. 

Online zelmo

• River Rat
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 05:11:11 PM »
I am going to hitch it up tomorrow and go for a short drive to check for problems.

I didnít get to that today.  Since the blowout I have been looking at tire ratings and calculating the correct tire pressure needed for the weight of the rigs.  While I can look at the specs on the various components of the bassboat and estimate the weight I only have estimates from my builder on the weight of the jet rig.

I took that to a big rig truck center today and weighed it on a CAT scale.  I was pleased to learn that the axle weight is 3160 lbs, so the D Load Rating tires on it are more than adequate.  No need to change them until wear takes itís toll. 

I will get the Triton to those scales next week.  I believe that I will find that the C Rating tires that were on it were right at the max load.  Since I replaced them with D tires I know they are now good but I still want the numbers.